Solved! What projector to buy for a bedroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconFall

Estimable
Oct 15, 2016
Hello, I'm looking to buy a projector for my bedroom. I know nothing about projectors but would like to know if you guys have any suggestions?

Here's what I'm looking for:
- The projector will be between 7 to 13 feels from the screen
- It will be indoors in a dark room
- If their could be a feature to connect the audio to a google chrome cast so that I can connect the projector to my speakers (I can live without this feature, but it would be nice to have it since I have good speakers)
- I will most likely only use it to watch movies and maybe sometime play console, so if their could be a HDMI port that would be nice
- I want the projector to be easy to setup (not a lot of cables and all)
- I don't require the best video quality (I probably won't see the difference between a 400$ projector and a 1000$ projector), but a good quality would be nice
- I haven't bought a screen yet, but I have the place to put a screen that is 9 foot by 7 foot maybe a bit more

For the budget, I'm looking for something that is less expensive than a thousand dollars, preferably something around 500-600$

Thanks a lot!

Reactions: CyrusPhillip
Solution
You will see the difference if you spent more for the projector.
Many, if not all, cheap projectors have false specs so will not be very bright, not have decent color or the video resolution that is stated (usually they tell you what it will accept but will convert that to the native resolution of the projector.
I suggest an Epson, Optomo or BenQ.
https://epson.com/For-Home/Projectors/Home-Cinema/Home-Cinema-1060-1080p-3LCD-Projector/p/V11H849020
You would have to wire AC and HDMI to the projector.
You don't need to connect your speakers to the projector audio output. You want to connect your speakers directly to your source. If your source doesn't have the correct audio output or you have more than one source then get an HDMI...
You will see the difference if you spent more for the projector.
Many, if not all, cheap projectors have false specs so will not be very bright, not have decent color or the video resolution that is stated (usually they tell you what it will accept but will convert that to the native resolution of the projector.
I suggest an Epson, Optomo or BenQ.
https://epson.com/For-Home/Projectors/Home-Cinema/Home-Cinema-1060-1080p-3LCD-Projector/p/V11H849020
You would have to wire AC and HDMI to the projector.
You don't need to connect your speakers to the projector audio output. You want to connect your speakers directly to your source. If your source doesn't have the correct audio output or you have more than one source then get an HDMI input selector with audio extraction. That would go where your sources are located. One HDMI to the projector would be all you need this way. Powered speakers would connect to the switcher (wired is best to avoid audio sync problems). The speakers would need to have their own volume control (remote control would be best).
An AVR with passive speakers would not need the HDMI selector. Sources to the AVR - AVR to projector.
Get the cheapest screen you can that has a frame. That will tension the screen material so it's perfectly flat. You will probably want a 16:9 aspect ration screen. They are usually sold by the diagonal measurement from corner to corner. How big will depend on how far from it you will be.

Solution

FalconFall

Estimable
Oct 15, 2016
Thanks a lot for your replie. The projector seems exactly like what I wanted. I was just wondering one thing, is it possible for the projector to project at an angle? I was thinking about having it project at a 45 degree angle from the left side of the screen. Does the projector allow me to do that without the picture been messed up?

Questions you need to ask/answer:

1. How large of a screen/image are you looking for?
  2. How far from the scree will you be sitting?
  3. Do you intend to ceiling mount the projector?
  4. What is the video source (Cable/Satellite/PC/Console)?
  5. Where will the video source be located in relation to the projector?
  6. Can you run audio separate from the video to an amp/Home Theater System (HTS)?
  7. Can your HTS pass through video to the projector (video source --> HTS --> Projector)?

Projector Central - Epson Home Cinema 1060 Projection Calculator

I used to run a Home Theater PC (HTPC) w/Cablecard Live TV to my projector via a DVI-D graphics card output and digital audio from the HTPC to my Onkyo HT-S 3200 5.1 Surround Sound System.

-Wolf sends

Status
Not open for further replies.