What should I expect from surround sound/

mainframe23

Estimable
Jan 9, 2016
Hello,

Sorry for my English, not my mother language.

I have set up my first surround sound system ever, Laptop connected to HT system and then to the TV, all done though HDMI.

Everything appears to be working correctly, laptop audio devices show my HT as playback device, and all speakers sound individually when tested. VLC player options are either Directx or Wave sound with Dolby surround option checked.

HT display shows all channels working, along with <<LFE>> SW. I have sound through all speakers... at the same time.

And that is precisely the issue, consider I tested the system with the film Gravity (2013), and I was expecting, for example, to be receiving different audio through each channel, lets say dialogs through the center, engine thrusters through the rear, explosions through the front, just to say something. But basically I feel the sound like if you just take plain stereo and have it sound through all speakers at the same time.

So, are my expectations too high? or is there something that is not working in my setup?

Solution
You don't mention what connection you are using from the laptop to the HTS. You would need a digital audio output to get surround from a laptop. Check what surround mode the HTS is using. Try different ones.
You are supposed to hear different things from different speakers. It will depend on the mix and whether the file you are playing has the original sound. If you disconnect the center channel all the dialogue should go away. The rears should not be playing all the time (some films very rarely).
You don't mention what connection you are using from the laptop to the HTS. You would need a digital audio output to get surround from a laptop. Check what surround mode the HTS is using. Try different ones.
You are supposed to hear different things from different speakers. It will depend on the mix and whether the file you are playing has the original sound. If you disconnect the center channel all the dialogue should go away. The rears should not be playing all the time (some films very rarely).

Solution

mainframe23

Estimable
Jan 9, 2016

Thank you for your reply. In my case, when searching for surround modes in the HTS (Sony HT-M5) manual found that the speaker position has to be defined as "Front" or "Rear". Basically, if in the HTS menu speakers are defined as front, the sound comes out flat, to my perception same sounds in every speaker.

After I changed my speaker position to "Rear" everything started to work as expected, hearing different things from different speakers. Was watching Avatar, and the jungle scenes were completely awesome.

Thank you.