What speakers to buy for Onkyo TX-NR626

jeff1304

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
So first of all I am looking at upgrading from my old logitech z-5500 but I have a few questions. Im looking at getting the Onkyo TX-NR626 Amazon has them on sale for $299 is this a good receiver and is it a good price? Can I run my z-5500 speakers and sub with it or would it be a waste of time? If I need to buy a new system whats the best I could get for around $350 I also have no problem buying used.

Solution
You would use a SuperZero for the center too.

There are not that big, only 5"x5.5"x9", compared with the Def Tech's which are 4"x4.25"x7" they don't take up that much more space. I'd chose the NHT's over the DT's, they are a better speaker and they do a bit better in near field listening.

Looking around, the cheapest I see the DT setup is $600, so with that in mind, you could get five SZ's for $410 and a Dayton Audio Sub-1200 for $110 at Parts Express for a total of $520. You'll have better speakers, and though the sub is the weak link, it'll be at least on par with the DT sub quality of sound wise, but it'll dig deeper.

All that said, I'm not going to discourage you from the DT set, it should be a decent performer for...

ien2222

Distinguished
Hey there,

The onkyo is a decent AVR, if it meets the feature set you want then I say go for it. For $300, it's a pretty good deal because if I remember right it retails for ~$500.

As for speakers, it depends on what you're after, $350 isn't much for 5.1 if you're thinking more home theaterish. If you're looking to just replace the logitechs with something better, there's the Monoprice 10565 which can be found on Amazon too.

If you're looking for a larger experience, are you willing to build over time?

jeff1304

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

How does that mono compare to this Energy

I also have no problem building over time where I am putting it is a small home office but I would like to have a receiver soon because my z-5500 doesn't have enough inputs for what i need currently.

ien2222

Distinguished
The Monoprice's are very similar to the Energy's. A couple of years ago, Monoprice actually had rebranded Take Classics, not sure what was going on then, but Energy sued them. From the sound of it either there was a misunderstanding, or a technicality that was the issue, not that Monoprice was blatantly stealing their design. The result was that Monoprice stopped offering that model and made a revised set though there are not any significant differences.

Main difference really is that Monoprice only offers a 1yr warranty on the sats vs 5yrs on the Takes. Not that big of a deal since any defect in a passive speaker like that should show up within a couple of months.

But, if you're willing to build over time, you have better choices than this. Since this is a small office, will this be a desktop solution?

ien2222

Distinguished
Heh, so no towers in front :D

Ack, my cable provider sucks today and I'm having trouble getting to most of the sites I want to. So, from memory :)

I think I'll recommend NHT SuperZero 2.1's for you. www.nhthifi.com Can't access it right now but I believe they are on sale right now for ~$80-90ea. These are excellent desktop speakers and they do pretty good in a smaller HT environment too. You'll definitely need to run a sub with them though since they only reach down to 85hz.

So, running into your budget there, I take it $350 is about what you can spend now which means if you want, you could get the front three and use your logitech sub for now giving you time to save up for one. The SuperZero's and SuperOne's tend to have b stock in there clearance section for good deals so don't worry about getting the rears right away, you can get by with using the Logitech there as well. If you don't mind spending a bit more you could get all 5 now and you can call them up and see if you can get a better deal if you do that, they're a good company to work with and sometimes things like that happen and it doesn't hurt any to give a call, maybe they'll give you a really good deal on some b stock.

For the sub, the one I'd like to suggest is out of stock, it's the Mordaunt Short Aviano 7. The couple of places where it's sold that I know of and their website say out of stock (at least as of a couple of days ago). The reason for this choice, one it's a solid performer at it's price point, but also comes with a variable notch filter. The filter tends to be useful in a desktop situation as the sub is usually placed in a confined area, be it under a desk or between the desk and wall. Because of that there's usually a small frequency range where it just resonates out of control and the filter helps tone it down. Audyssey on the Onkyo will do that too, but usually the less work Audyssey needs to do the better. I don't remember the price of it off hand, but I think it's around $280.

But there are other subs to look at too though it'll depend on size restrictions and budget. *

*For fun I'd suggest getting a couple of Orbit Shifters from JTR. Probably won't shift Earth's orbit, but maybe you can get them to shift your office across the street :D

jeff1304

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

What about a center channel ? Also im not sure those speaker will fit on my tiny desk which is 4 feet wide and only about 2 feet deep. Although i might be able to mount them to the bookshelf above my desk

ien2222

Distinguished
You would use a SuperZero for the center too.

There are not that big, only 5"x5.5"x9", compared with the Def Tech's which are 4"x4.25"x7" they don't take up that much more space. I'd chose the NHT's over the DT's, they are a better speaker and they do a bit better in near field listening.

Looking around, the cheapest I see the DT setup is $600, so with that in mind, you could get five SZ's for $410 and a Dayton Audio Sub-1200 for $110 at Parts Express for a total of $520. You'll have better speakers, and though the sub is the weak link, it'll be at least on par with the DT sub quality of sound wise, but it'll dig deeper.

All that said, I'm not going to discourage you from the DT set, it should be a decent performer for what you want, it's better the the Monoprice set (and by extension the Take Classics) I suggested earlier. A lot of people are quite please with them.

Solution