What to buy, Apple-iPhone5-iOS OR Samsung-GalaxyS4-Android

axxo2

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Hello everyone,

I am a system administrator and I need to get a new mobile phone to get downtime warnings and such when I am not in front of my computer.

I am not much of a mobile user, so please bear with me.

I currently have an iPhone 3G (recently reset to factory settings to no avail) but I believe it's time to switch for a couple of reasons:
-Mobile phone "switch off" button doesn't work anymore
-Opening any website results in Safari crashing
-Opening "app", "messages", "phone" response is slow
-Problem reading SIM from time to time
-I can't install any app, I get "this app requires a new iOS version"

I tried to upgrade iOS in the past but it became crazy slow and went back immediately.

I know in recent years mobile devices processors etc. have been improved a lot (I have been as slow as Intel to realize it).

I have been disappointed by the discovery I can't install ANY application anymore, I don't want to switch for any such reason in the future (I am not a buy for the sake of buying).

The most important things for me are:
-performance and stability (OS and browser)
-can install any app, especially ssh apps now as well as in the future
-price of course

Things I will use are only "Messages", "Phone", browser and SSH.

If you want to recommend another product feel free to do so.
For example looking at this figures
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_mobile_phones#2013
HTC One seems to be a good horse too.

Please advise,
Thanks,
Your hopeless smartphone noob Jo.

lxgoldsmith

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
You will spark a huge debate on most sites with this "Apple vs Samsung" question.

To be fair, both sides can be very biased, but samsung fans often make very reasonable arguments for the extra features in the galaxy line. I myself have gone in the android direction on the s4 active for rural use and have found the features a pleasure to work with. I've also used fingerprint scanners on laptops, and those are fun. Having that on a new iphone would be just as good, but the iphone does not offer facial recognition like the s4. The IR blaster is effective up to about 10-15 feet LOS realistically. Half of the hover features aren't half bad once you get used to having them available. expandable storage is also an important option.

I can't decide for you, else the countless fanboys will get me a thousand email replies, but I prefer the s4 for its many features (especially the use of my msd card)