What to choose?

wildwheat

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
I'm looking to buy me a new laptop.
i'm strugelling between 2 types :
Intel Core Duo T3200 and- Intel Core 2 Duo T6400.
please note that this laptop will be used for college, downloading, and a bit of games.
so, which one do you think is better?
and which one will suit me more?
Tnx.

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
well unless you have a typo, the first one is actually a core solo. And t3200 is just going to be slower than the t6400. And if the first one really is core solo, that's one processor compared to two processors in the core 2 duo

Nope, the T3200 is a 2ghz dual core CPU, just like the T6400:
Supported Features:
# Dual Core
# Enhanced Intel Speedstep® Technology
# Intel® EM64T 1
# Execute Disable Bit

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAVG

However, the T6400 runs off the 45nm process, has a higher FSB and has a tad bit more L2 cache. None of that is really going to make much of a difference, but there are slight variations.

T6400: http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLGJ4

wildwheat

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
tnx guys.
now let me ask this please:
Lenovo 3000 N500 4233-46G with: Intel Core Duo T3200,RAM 4096 MB, 320 GB
or: Lenovo 3000 N500 4233-79G with: Intel Core 2 Duo T6400, RAM 3072 MB, 320 GB
I don't know what to choose out of these 2. both have a large memory, however, the 79G has a better processor with smaller RAM while the 46G has a lesser processor but a larger RAM.
and what does- 45nm, FSB and L2 cache mean?
tnx allot guys.
you're a big help!

Well, like I said before with the exception of a few minor differences, they are almost exactly the same CPU. Both are dual core at 2ghz. So really you are just comparing a laptop with 3gb of RAM to one with 4gb.

45nm is the manufacturing process the CPU is based on. The smaller the process, the more power efficient the CPU is going to be. In other words the T6400 (45nm) will use slightly less power than the T3200 (65nm).

FSB is a Front Side Bus. In the Core2Duo architecture, it is the speed at which the processor can communicate with the other components in your system. In this case the difference is from 800mhz (in the T6400) vs 667mhz (in the T3200). For the most part the difference in speed is going to be negligible and not really worth looking at.

L2 cache is a little bit of memory on the processor that allows it to store a limited amount of information within itself so that it doesn't have to access your RAM. Again the difference between the two processors you are looking at is very small and will not be noticeable.

Now, you also mentioned gaming as a possibility in your list of requirements. What kind of graphics card do these laptops come with and what games are you into playing?

wildwheat

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Now, you also mentioned gaming as a possibility in your list of requirements. What kind of graphics card do these laptops come with and what games are you into playing?

I still can't tell you what i'll be playing exactly, but i can tell you it won't be high speed games like call of duty or NFS. probably laid back games like total war and such.

and can i take from what you wrote that eventually, the difference isn't that big?
that the T6400 is slightly better and the fact that the RAM size of 3GB compered to 4GB is not that dramatic?

and one last thing- which one would you say is better for downloading stuff?

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
^^ depends on ur internet, and the wireless capabilities, some are able to get better reception than others.

@lostandwandering

sorry I didn't really look it up

Wireless is part of the consideration. The computer's ability to multitask and handle loads is the other. Personally, I would take the one with more RAM in it, but then the other question is was Operating System do they use.

A 32-bit OS is only going to register ~3.25gb if you have 4gb installed. If the choice is between 3gb and 4gb on said 32-bit OS, you are almost as well off with the 3gb. If you have a 64-bit version of Vista on the laptop, then 4gb is the clear choice.