Solved! What to do for laptop replacement?

Feb 11, 2021
Hi,
Been around computing and PCs/Laptops since the mid 80's, used DOS, Windows, AIX, Linux, CP/M etc etc etc so not a newbie by any means.
I'm currently trying to fix a dilemma of what to get for my next laptop.

My current machine is a 7 year old MacBook Air and is working perfectly OK. However, it's only got 4GB RAM (adequate only) and a 120GB SSD (just big enough as I store most data in iCloud)
I also use an iPhone as well.
My concerns (being retired) are longevity of hardware and software support and also personal security and reduction in internet surveillance.
I seem to have several options :
  1. Buy a new MacBook Air (£££££££) - will the new ones last over 7 years?
  2. Buy a used MacBook Air (probably 18 months to 2 years old), (££££)
  3. Buy a late used Windows machine and install Linux - again, my concern might be with longevity, but on the other hand it's easier and cheaper to replace or upgrade parts on a Windows machine than Mac!
  4. Buy a dedicated new Linux machine. (££££) - a caveat here is that there are very very few UK companies selling dedicated Linux machines, so purchasing from abroad may be an issue with regards to warranty etc.

I have no software issues as all the applications I use can be installed on MacOS, Linux or Windows and apps that can't, I use on the iPhone.
I'm going round in circles here, and could do with some advice!

Thanks!

Solution
All those picks are totally up to you and how much money you want to spend and the needs of your programs. You don't need a dedicated Linux machine, if you want to run Linux. It runs fine just about any system. The Lenovo ThinkPads seem to have very good Linux support for drivers so a used one of those will be fine. T430/440/450 or the slimmer s versions for about $150-200 with 8gb or more of RAM and a new SSD in it will be fine to run Linux. If you can find a T420 or T420s in good shape, that was the last one that had the great IBM keyboard style in them. Only issue with the older systems is battery life.

How long a new laptop will last, no way to know, it could be dead in a few months or last those 7 years.
All those picks are totally up to you and how much money you want to spend and the needs of your programs. You don't need a dedicated Linux machine, if you want to run Linux. It runs fine just about any system. The Lenovo ThinkPads seem to have very good Linux support for drivers so a used one of those will be fine. T430/440/450 or the slimmer s versions for about $150-200 with 8gb or more of RAM and a new SSD in it will be fine to run Linux. If you can find a T420 or T420s in good shape, that was the last one that had the great IBM keyboard style in them. Only issue with the older systems is battery life.

How long a new laptop will last, no way to know, it could be dead in a few months or last those 7 years.

Solution