What to look for in a proper sound system?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Urzu1000

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
There is a TL;DR section at the bottom.

I want to set up a 'very' high quality sound system for a home theater setup as a present to my wife. Mainly for watching movies and listening to music. I don't know what to look for in sound equipment. There are a lot of inconsistencies that don't make a lot of sense to me, such as the difference between subwoofers VS woofers, etc. I'm more or less a newbie. I prioritize directional surround sound when choosing headsets for myself, as I'm a gamer, but a high-fidelity music system setup is different than simple surround sound. There are numerous articles on these subjects, but most of them are for normal people, and they list brands and types before solid specifications. I'm looking for advanced recommendations and tips, so I can get it right the first time. I need an enthusiast's advice for finding sound system components in detail. Can anyone give me a good place to start, or some advice on what specs to look for? Links are appreciated too, if there's good articles covering this which I missed.

TL;DR Section: Can anyone give me solid advice (from an enthusiast's perspective) on what to look for in specifications, and any additional advice or links that would benefit me?

Any tips for doing it on the cheap would be a bonus, but isn't required!

Thanks in advance!

Solution
OP: So, I've had a little time and here's some options for you:

For the subs: Right now the Rythmik LV12R sub is on sale for $569, normally it's over $700 I believe so it's a darn good deal. This was one of the over $700 subs that I was going to recommend anyways. It's flat down to 17Hz so you get that low end extension and rear ported so you'll get a little more more output than a sealed box. An extra feature is that it's servo controlled, though it doesn't make a huge difference, it does make the lower end..."cleaner". I have no idea how long the sale is for though, but I think for you're budget and the size of your space, at this sale price this is the sub to consider. (Though Rythmik is a separate company, I'd suggest...

Urzu1000

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
@ien2222 First of all, I just wanted to say "wow". You really went to a lot of effort to piece all that together for me, and I appreciate that.

I think I have enough recommendations from everyone that I have at least a basic sense of what to look for, and all these recommendations certainly won't go to waste on me. Hopefully I can have everything set up by Christmas, but if not, I think I can manage it for her birthday. The boxes I can just explain away as computer equipment. Trying to sneak a large rug into the basement is going to get me a weird stare though.

If I could, I would pick several answers here for "Best Answer", but sadly, I'm only able to select one, but to everyone who helped - I appreciate it.