What type of audio connectors are these?

raseclog

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
Hi everyone and thank you in advance

I am helping my parents reconnect an old 5.1 surround system they have built into the living room ceiling into a new Sony Bratvia 4k TV I got them recently. They haven't used the system in more than a decade after their amplifier/receiver broke and they just got them sitting there so I thought it would be cool to revive them; especially given the TV's integrated sound is a joke. Upon inspecting the cabling, I noticed the connectors these speakers use are unfamiliar and I was hoping if anyone here could figure it out. I included a picture of the connectors below.

Additionally, could I use the optical out port on the TV along with an audio decoder and adapters to the speaker cable connectors to plug them directly to the TV or would I need an amplifier/receiver?

http://i.imgur.com/Tp0OLTY.jpg

Solution
They look like a proprietary speaker connector. You will need an amp to use the speaker connectors. If you want to use optical output, then you need a decoder/preamp in addition to an amp. The combo of these things is usually a surround sound receiver.

kanewolf

Judicious
They look like a proprietary speaker connector. You will need an amp to use the speaker connectors. If you want to use optical output, then you need a decoder/preamp in addition to an amp. The combo of these things is usually a surround sound receiver.

Solution

raseclog

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017

That's what I was thinking, thanks for the info! I'll start looking into a receiver to get these bad boys working again.

kanewolf

Judicious
You should be able to just cut off the proprietary connector and use the bare wire. The most important thing is consistent polarity of the speakers. There is usually a mark or coloring on one wire of the speaker cable. Just be consistent with assigning the color to + or - (red or black).