what upgrades are possible for this laptop?

thestupidguy27

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
hey what upgrades are possible for this laptop? HP Pavilion 15-n221so, can i upgrade cpu? the cpu is super slow but everything else is alright

Solution

There are none. Laptop motherboards are designed to fit in specific laptop chassis. Laptops are not like desktops; you cannot mix and match laptop motherboards with laptop chassis.

If you want a laptop with a more powerful processor, then you need to buy a new laptop. Modern laptops have CPUs soldered into the motherboard. Most laptops allows you to upgrade RAM and the hard drive. However, many ultrabooks have RAM soldered into the motherboard and no RAM slot so RAM cannot be upgraded.

Only very specific models of gaming laptops will allow you to upgrade the GPU. They generally cost at least $1,400 and use MXM format GPUs which are...

chemmajorp53

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
Unfortunately you can't upgrade the processor, it's soldered to the motherboard. The only way to upgrade is to replace the whole motherboard and processor with the motherboard and processor of a more expensive model in the same chassis.

This is what the chip itself looks like before being soldered

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-AMD-AM5200IAJ44HM-A6-5200-APU-Processor-Microprocessor-/331261474274

Every single one of those points on the back is a ball of solder that connects to the motherboard. It's impossible to remove a soldered chip and replace it without very very expensive equipment, your time is better spent looking for a new laptop.

thestupidguy27

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

can you show me a motherboard that fits in and supports gtx mobile gpu and intel core i5 or i7?

There are none. Laptop motherboards are designed to fit in specific laptop chassis. Laptops are not like desktops; you cannot mix and match laptop motherboards with laptop chassis.

If you want a laptop with a more powerful processor, then you need to buy a new laptop. Modern laptops have CPUs soldered into the motherboard. Most laptops allows you to upgrade RAM and the hard drive. However, many ultrabooks have RAM soldered into the motherboard and no RAM slot so RAM cannot be upgraded.

Only very specific models of gaming laptops will allow you to upgrade the GPU. They generally cost at least $1,400 and use MXM format GPUs which are basically likely mini graphic cards. The vast majority of gaming laptops have GPUs that are soldered into the motherboard.

Solution