What VR Headset should I get if I want a sit down experience?

hunt909

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
Hello! I've been saving for VR for a while now and I have seen the HTC Vive and Oculus as the two main contenders (The ones I've seen the most about) from what I can understand the HTC Vive is kind of like Wii in VR and the Oculus is a more sit down experience? I only really want to have the sit down experience but I don't know much about the numerous amount of other headsets out there and which one I should invest my money into. Any ideas?

Solution
1) Rift is a finished, consumer product and is comfortable.

(It also comes with detachable headphones. The Vive has you add your own AFAIK.

2) Glasses work apparently, though maybe not really large ones. You can Google that. We may see an option for the internal focal lenses to be swapped and replace glasses later.

3) Vive is more expensive mainly as it adds controllers as part of the bundle. Also no consumer release yet AFAIK.

4) Rift has controllers coming too but how well they integrate is uncertain. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rift and Vive end up nearly fully compatible for most titles.

Summary:
The Rift is your best choice as a sit-down experience presently.

Geekwad

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
I would say it's more of: if you don't want to have a full room experience, then you can consider both.

Both CV1 and Vive1 are similar in fidelity, but the ecosystem both work with are going to be quite different. Oculus has a bit more history behind it, and so right now if 'gaming' is what you're after, Oculus has more content. Crazy fun virtual experiences are to be had with the Vive, but much of the software reminds me of fresh DK1's.

I'm sure they'll catch up quickly, being Valve and all, and it has a lot more potential to be a truly interactive experience......but time will tell if it will give you what you're looking for. It's also important to note that it's heavy, has lots and LOTS of wires to consider, needs a full power bar on its own, and doesn't have built-in headphones.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm turning you off to it, I ordered both, but if I had to choose one right now......I'd probably go with the Rift.

hunt909

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015

I forgot to mention in the post I wear glasses! That's an important factor! Do I need to get contacts?

1) Rift is a finished, consumer product and is comfortable.

(It also comes with detachable headphones. The Vive has you add your own AFAIK.

2) Glasses work apparently, though maybe not really large ones. You can Google that. We may see an option for the internal focal lenses to be swapped and replace glasses later.

3) Vive is more expensive mainly as it adds controllers as part of the bundle. Also no consumer release yet AFAIK.

4) Rift has controllers coming too but how well they integrate is uncertain. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rift and Vive end up nearly fully compatible for most titles.

Summary:
The Rift is your best choice as a sit-down experience presently.

Solution