Question What's the best definition of 'Augmented Reality' you've seen ?

Jul 3, 2019
I'm trying to iron out a really clear definition of AR but every time I try, I can always think of some edge cases that don't quite fit my definition...the latest example is Bose Frames. They claim to be an example of AR but I'm not sure they really are...they play you audio based on your location which I guess is an example of computer-generated information interacting with my real-world environment but it seems a little tenuous. Help a brother out..

Jul 3, 2019
I think I become uneasy when considering "AR" experiences that are triggered purely by one's geo-location because one's geo-location isn't something that you can perceive with your senses. Eg: if some audio of birds tweeting is triggered to play from my Bose frames because I've walked into what Google Maps thinks is a park I don't see that as augmented reality. However, if the audio is triggered because a front-facing camera detects grass in front of me then I do see it as augmented reality...the latter case makes use of human-type senses to alter my perceived reality

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality 1
S Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality 3
R Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality 1
U Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality 1
misssmith11 Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality 2
M Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality 1
G Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality 1
E Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality 2
C Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality 3