What's The Best Headset For Gaming?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ShadyOrb09

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Hello, I'm looking for a new headset and I don't really want a 'gaming' headset.
I find them really cheaply made, and they break within a year not to mention most of them having sub-par audio quality.
I'm basically just looking for a headset where I can hear footsteps easily, with high quality audio.
It doesn't need to have a mic, and there really isn't a budget, just something reasonable.

I've been looking around but haven't quite found anything that's caught my eye.
Nor do I even know what to look for, so any help or suggestion would be greatly welcomed.

Also, while I'm at it I might as well ask if any of you know of a high quality mouse bungee.
Silly question, but I've been looking around and a lot of them have bad reviews, it'd be nice if I could pay a bit extra but for it to last longer. I've looked around and I'm not interested in the Razer one or the Roccat Apuri. Any ideas there either?

Thanks <3

Solution
Ok you need surround sound for gaming, it's just better. Either you get true 5.1 with multiples speaker headphones, or do virtual surround sound. True surround headsets are limited to gaming headsets and fairly low quality so I recommend virtual surround sound.

To get virtual surround sound you need a USB headset or a sound card/on board sound with either Creative or Dolby Headphone. If you use an external USB DAC you need software such as Razer Surround to get virtual surround sound.

Here is a breakdown of what's available:

- Seinheiser GameOne and PC350 - Both are analogue and require a sound card or onboard sound. GameOne is also for Xbox and PS4.
- Seinheiser PC636D - Includes a USB soundcard so you don't need a soundcard

J_E_D_70

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
People like to hate on logitech but I'm quite happy with my virtual surround G930s. With win 10 they like to disconnect more than I'd like but there is the G430 verson that is wired so no disconnects. My BF4 clanmatrs say the mic is loud and clear.

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
The logitech headsets are pretty good. Steelseries isn't bad. There are some good ones. If you just want to spend $200, get a headset that works, plug it in and only game then they are fine. If they break in 2 years go out and buy a new one. That's fine. A USB headset also eliminates the need for onboard audio or a soundcard. They work fine for their purpose, but nothing more. They are also simple to use.

A real pair of headphones will be better for music, movies, etc... And depending on which ones you choose can be way more comfortable for long sessions. A set of pro studio Seinheissers, AMG, or Grado for $300 are some very nice headphones. Headsets just arn't in the same ballpark.

But my mother would be lost trying to set up headphones, a DAC, soundcard, microphone, XLR cables, pop filter, etc... She would be just as happy plugging in a USB and it works. My parents do not get joy out of superior products and just want simple. They don't want bluetooth in a car, they just want windows that go down when you crank them. That's the type of crowd a USB headset is for. Also for those with no quality soundcard or onboard sound then a USB headset is a cost effective alternative. But they are gaming only. Seinheiser is one of the few that make a very good product with an amazing mic and it's great for music too. AKG as well is the exact same as their 271 headphones with a breadcast mic attached, only problem is it's an XLR cable. Can't compare those to logitech or steelseries.

ShadyOrb09

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015

Thanks for clearing that up. I love the detail you go into, you're amazing at this.

Also, is there any other programs besides Razer Surround that do surround sound? I have a Razer headset now with Razer Surround and I hate the Razer Synapse program it comes with, it's not compatible with a lot of older games and they just crash.

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Programs that alter the frequencies and waveforms to give better headphone sound are called Head Related Transfer Functions (HRTF). They are designed to simulate actual speakers and make you forget that you are wearing headphones. Personally I find they act like DSP and add reverb and echoe and ruin the sound. The point I like about headphones is the loudness and isolation you get and the deep bass. The very acurate clean sound from good isolated headphones compared to an open room. The HRTF's try to mimic the open room. There are different companies that produce HRTF plugins and programs. Some are thousands of dollars for pro use and mixing.

Razer Surround is free and only $20 for the full version and it works pretty good. Or if you register a Razer product it's free.

There used to be Aureal 3d until Creative bought them out and killed it.

Dolby has there own and licenses it out to headset and soundcard manufacturers. If it's not Creative it's Dolby Headphone.

Out of Your Head by Darren Fong has a surround sound option for his HRTF plugins. I tried it and didn't notice a huge revelation and it's more pricey.

Those are the only ones I am aware of that do surround sound for gaming. It would nice to AB them all side by side for the same game clip. The trick is to set your computer for 5.1 and also set your game to 5.1 speakers. Do not set the game to headphones or 2 speaker and expect it to work. And from all the reviews and forums posts I've read from audio pro's, it seems people like the Razer option just as much or even better than Dolby Headphone.

There is some research going on at Universities with virtual reality and 3d audio and it's pretty good. But it's not ready for a quick plugin on a computer and all your gaming is amazing.

The best I've heard so far is from true 5.1 headphones with multiple speakers and plugged into a 5.1 soundcard with 3 analogue 3.5mm plugs. But the same headphones are not as good for music. And people say dolby headphone and Razer sound just as good. I'd like to AB them side by side because the last time I had true 5.1 headphones the virtual surround sound wasn't like it is today. From what I've read in articles virtual surround sound is actually better than many true 5.1 headphones.

ShadyOrb09

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015

Okay, so I just stick with Razer Surround I think. I have the full version, hopefully they fix the compatibility.
Thanks for all your help, you're really good at this.