What's the cheapest laptop I can get to run total war Rome 2

Mr-meesiiks

Prominent
Feb 9, 2017
Looking for the cheapest possible laptop (£100-150) which can run total war Rome 2 at low almost everything with a solid 30fps. Will be playing some online but mostly offline to have on car journeys and the such, thanks!

Solution
Based on the benchmarks for Total War Rome 2 in the link below, the game is actually a bit demanding if you want 30 FPS with the lowest settings. Note that results are average FPS, not minimum FPS. So if "solid 30 FPS" means a minimum of 30 FPS, then I recommend looking at dedicated graphic chips / integrated graphics cores that can provide an average of 40 FPS just to be sure. In short, a £100-150 laptop will not be good enough to play the game. It will be difficult to even find a used laptop within the range that is capable of playing the game with "solid 30 FPS". You need a laptop with either an Intel HD 4400, Radeon HD 8550G or the Radeon HD 7610M. Ignore the Radeon HD 8470D because that is only found in desktop AMD APUs...
Based on the benchmarks for Total War Rome 2 in the link below, the game is actually a bit demanding if you want 30 FPS with the lowest settings. Note that results are average FPS, not minimum FPS. So if "solid 30 FPS" means a minimum of 30 FPS, then I recommend looking at dedicated graphic chips / integrated graphics cores that can provide an average of 40 FPS just to be sure. In short, a £100-150 laptop will not be good enough to play the game. It will be difficult to even find a used laptop within the range that is capable of playing the game with "solid 30 FPS". You need a laptop with either an Intel HD 4400, Radeon HD 8550G or the Radeon HD 7610M. Ignore the Radeon HD 8470D because that is only found in desktop AMD APUs.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Total-War-Rome-II-Benchmarked.101446.0.html

The Intel HD 4400 are found in 4th generation "Haswell" Intel Core i3 / i5 /i7 CPUs like the i5-4200u (the 4xxx means 4th gen). It is also found in the less expensive i3-4030u CPU, but benchmarks are either based on an i5 or i7 CPU. The i3 series have lower clockspeed, which means results would be less than 31.8 FPS using the lowest settings @ 1024x768 resolution.

The Radeon HD 8550G is in the AMD A8-5550M APU which was released back in 2013.

The Radeon HD 7610M is an old dedicated graphics chip released back in 2011 so you can probably do a search on it to find used laptops with that dedicated GPU.

Solution