What's the point of a native 120hz HDTV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam QS

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014
So without much knowledge I decided to upgrade from a Vizio e480-b2 48" to a Sony x900e 55". I primarily use the PS4 on it to do just about everything but so far haven't noticed anything different except when I run motionflow it has that Opera Effect thing going on which is a bit annoying and just not doable while playing games. So with that said, this TV so far performs about the same as my much less costly TV(vizio e480-b2).

What exactly is the point of this TV? I'm not saying it has no point but I'm genuinely wondering what is the point of it in my situation if it applies. If not, do you guys have any suggestions as to how I can utilize this TV for what it's meant for? I don't watch sports so that's out the window lol.

Solution
I'd rather get a really good 60Hz TV than some crappy panel which does ''120Hz'' to be honest. Good 60Hz TV's won't have ghosting and stuff like you'd imagine you'd probably get if it wasn't 120 or 240Hz or whatever.

InvalidError

Distinguished
Refreshing the LCD twice as often improves the pixels' response speed, which reduces trailing. Some TVs also do motion interpolation between frames or other DSP stuff to produce smoother movement, at the expense of added latency to produce those intermediate frames and put them out. For gaming, you usually want to avoid that sort of stuff since it adds 2-3 frames (33-50ms) of latency.

Sam QS

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014

Any suggestions on what I can do to make use of the native 120hz? Gaming and streaming shows doesn't seem to be any good so far. I heard Blu-Rays are better on it, I'll have to check it out sometime soon when I get the chance. Other than that, what else is there to try out and make use of the 120hz over 60hz?

InvalidError

Distinguished
The "native 120Hz" is just video processing done by the TV, you either like it or you don't and if you don't, the only thing you can do is try to find the mode that looks best for what you're doing or turn video processing off altogether if that's one option on it.

The feed to the TV even on "240Hz" TVs is still the same old 60Hz, the TV's DSP simply generates three intermediate frames between input frames or repeats the frames to fill the space.

Sam QS

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014

There's no way for me to dislike it compared to 60hz as there is literally nothing worse but can only be better. The problem is, I'm trying to find the "better". Since most things apparently runs at 60hz or less and can't really utilize the 120hz from what I'm finding.

RCFProd

Honorable
Herald
Dec 8, 2013
I'd rather get a really good 60Hz TV than some crappy panel which does ''120Hz'' to be honest. Good 60Hz TV's won't have ghosting and stuff like you'd imagine you'd probably get if it wasn't 120 or 240Hz or whatever.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.