When are kabylake laptops coming out?

Solution
No info yet on when laptops with 7th gen Intel CPUs are coming. However, since that Dell is list I would guess within 1 month / 30 days.

Personally, I would like to see a refresh of the Dell XPS 15. It would be nice if it was configured with a nVidia GTX 1060, but I would settle for the GTX 1050 which would still be a little more powerful than the GTX 960m. I think benchmarks pegged the GTX 1050 between the GTX 965m and GTX 970m.
All I've heard is really soon.

The CPU is newer, but other than power savings I'm not sure what there is to be interested in.

Seems like a nice laptop for what it is, but I would just check and make sure there's nothing cheaper with current gen which may be almost identical for your purposes.

I'll check and see.

I would also make sure there is a slot for an SSD and add one. Maybe an M.2 SSD slot? If so, then I would use Macrium Reflect Free and clone. (it's slightly confusing at first, but I just used it and it works)
a) install or burn to USB stick
b) add SSD
c) CLONE
d) change BIOS' BOOT ORDER so you boot to the SSD now
e) TEST for a while
f) If working, then FORMAT the HDD
g) make a backup IMAGE of SSD to HDD using Macrium

I could find similar laptops for cheaper, but the CPU and GPU weren't as good.

For example, for $630 I found one with a 128GB SSD W10 etc (but may not have another SLOT for a drive).

The i3-6100U was also a dual-core HT CPU but Turbo was only 2.3GHz. So the newer Kaby should have about 40% more performance if a program needs it.

The GPU difference is unknown, but from what I have read it's capable of light gaming if you tweak carefully. For some games like racing maybe drop res to 1366x768 with 2xAA.

If you play DOTA or LoL it should be okay with tweaking.

Summary:
I suspect you don't game anyway, but that aside the laptop you chose has a very nice CPU for a small laptop. It's a great portable, snappy device for school or where you need mobility.

It really needs an SSD though as discussed to take full benefit of it.

*So verify it can have an SSD added (M.2 or whatever). This is an example which I can not verify is compatible:
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/Br7CmG/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mzhpv128hdgm00000

120GB should be sufficient if you also have an HDD.

No info yet on when laptops with 7th gen Intel CPUs are coming. However, since that Dell is list I would guess within 1 month / 30 days.

Personally, I would like to see a refresh of the Dell XPS 15. It would be nice if it was configured with a nVidia GTX 1060, but I would settle for the GTX 1050 which would still be a little more powerful than the GTX 960m. I think benchmarks pegged the GTX 1050 between the GTX 965m and GTX 970m.

Solution

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012

I'm a pretty big gamer, I just play mostly on my desktop. I have no clue about laptops parts though, which is why I need help finding something. I'm essentially trying to find something that could play newer games in on low in 720p for a laptop. I don't really care that much about performance, I just want to be able to play games when I'm not at my desktop. Given that I plan on studying abroad next semester/summer, I'd like to have something that decent. It's just really hard to find something good sub-$900. I would also prefer integrated if possible because it uses less power than a dedicated gpu.