When I turn on my laptop the screen is black

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlara75

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
When i turn on my laptop the screen stays black. I can hear the fan running and the charger light is on, so why isn't it turning on correctly?

Solution
Hello.
My name is John Chol de Mawuer, a South Sudanese who pursued his tertiary education in Kenya.
Although my feedback will reach you at a time when you might have already dump your old Laptop for another one. I think i will have to tell you these simple tricks to help you next time when you experience this same problem or helping your friends/relatives who might be stuck with this problem.....
As i was taught back then in school. there are several problems which cause the screen to experience the blackout.......
JUST TRY THESE SIMPLE STEPS TO SEE IF IT GONNA HELP.

Electrical hitches.
Remove your laptop's battery, unplug the power, hold power the button for 1 to 2 minutes, turn on computer with power plug only...

Aizen Itachi

Estimable
Mar 24, 2015
Hello
A blank screen might be also caused by a faulty RAM or a faulty RAM port.

This worked for me:
Switch off the laptop.
Change the position of the RAM.
Switch on the laptop.

If this doesn't work. Get a different RAM and test it.

jlannette

Estimable
Mar 31, 2015

what type of laptop do.ydo you have? I am having the same issue with my screen and hearing everything else run properly.

kanonnd

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
hi
my friend's laptop seems got same problem, its asus, i forget the serie
i don't even see asus logo when turning on the laptop, but capslock light is fine , i can turn the capslock light on or off
i've tried fn f1 - f11 , i still able to increase or decrease volume, set the brightness and etc. but still blank screen
i also tried external screen, and .. yah.. it didn't work, i've tried to use external screen on my laptop and it worked perfectly

so... any suggestion?
many thank, kano

btw..sorry for missing grammars

tthompsj

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015
I typically have the same issue. Mine is a Toshiba Satellite. I used to keep unhooking it and then rehooking the power cable, only for the screen to be black. For some reason, hitting the PLAY button (my laptop has the volume, play/pause, rewind, fast forward touch "buttons" right next to the power button) fixed it. It's almost like the screen is turning off and needs to be "played" when I start the laptop. It doesn't happen a lot, but it would happen every blue moon, so now on the rare occasion that it happens, I just hit the PLAY "button" and once that "button" (it's not really a button, but you know) lights up white, the screen comes on and the laptop boots normally.

Pwolf57

Estimable
Apr 30, 2015
Dear John, I just want to thank you so much for taking the time to share your troubleshooting knowledge. I was in a panic about my laptop's dark screen and your info got my laptop up and running. I still need to figure out what it's problem is, but I'm so relieved to see it back up and running. Many many thanks!

Ildiko Petry

Estimable
May 25, 2015
I find the solution on the YouTube,and working ! My laptop working with out any trouble,the last 3 day I can turn on and off no more black screen. take the battery out,keep the a/c adapter in turn on your laptop and cover with the blanket about 10-15 minute make sure no air going in.After that let it cool down 30-40 minute and turn on, if not working try again.I did 3 time's until start to work.I know is looks stupid but working!!!!

deckst101

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015
I have the same problem but the difference is that mine got dropped and after that blank screen showed up. Is it a hardware problem? Can someone help me with a solution? I'm not a computer student so I don't know much about the IT knowledge. Please help.

the expert

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015
I found the solution :)
Type ctrl+alt+del and then open task manager. Then at the processes, look for a tab named explorer.exe then end the process. After that reboot your Pc and its done and it will work for sure.

aryanrai

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
For people like me who are supposed be a tech expert and tried every thing on a display problem laptop here is ans--
maybe your hinge is broken and the wire which connects display to motherboard is stuck between hinge
hence try opening laptop and move that wire a bit so it don stuck again
my problem solved by this
Laptop - Samsung np00e5z-aodin
(quite old :( )

Allese

Estimable
Jul 9, 2015
I have a Lenovo W500
I tried it all and nothing worked... even cot the blue screen... well, this is no solution, but thats all I got for now and well, I must reinstal windows, i guess. But what worked, was this:
1. start the computer - yes, you will have this black screen and the windows workinf in the background
2. but your computer to sleep with your sleep button
3. bring it out of sleep - thats where my screen stared to work!
But unfortunately it still has black screen every time i restart... so this is not the best solution, but at least got my screen picture back.

jacorien

Estimable
Jul 11, 2015

Thank you! Fn + F5 worked and could you tell me why that process work? I' m sorry I don't know how old this post is.

rozalindejoan

Estimable
Jul 29, 2015
had same issue with my hp laptop, but was advised 1.remove all accessories,like usb cable, charger adapter and any cd or usb.2.switch off laptop 3.remove battery and after removing battery hold the start button for 15-30secnds.rem ur laptop should not be in charge, this is to remove any extra power it has.
4.connect adapter charger to laptop without battery
5.try and power it on....
hope this works

Khurram_1

Estimable
Sep 27, 2015
SAME ISSUE ITS EASY. There is no problem in your hardware just a window porblem so called virus
Press CTRL + SHIFT + TAB , Task manager will open
in Processes end explorer.exe and make a newtask name "explorer.exe" It will work fine then your desktop will appear
Pray for me . enjoy XD

prachir

Estimable
Oct 23, 2015
Problem Solved

Even i had the same problem.....my laptop was powering up along with the exhaust fan (at max speed) but the display was not coming. I noticed that there was a leakage current in all my ports(USB,Projector etc). So i took a wire and shorted the surrounding metal of projector port (that is supposed to be the ground of projector port) with the earth (in my case the earth was the metal table on which my laptop was kept). Then while doing so i started my laptop and fortunately this worked for me and the display started working.

The TacoGuy

Estimable
Oct 30, 2015
Spent bout half an trying all these methods until i just pressed the power button a couple times in quick taps and out of nowhere my laptop booted up and is up and running. Hope this method helps anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.