When should I get a new Laptop?

baseball921

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
-Is right now considered an "OK" time to buy a new laptop? Or is it worth waiting for the new Intel processors?

-Will they be THAT much better than the i7? I'm assuming laptops using the new CPU's will cost a lot more when they're released which makes me wonder if I'll even purchase one.

-I got my laptop in '08 when I was planning to use it for basic uses. But now I'd like to use it for more demanding programs and some gaming. The programs/games I'd like to use either don't work well, or not at all.

I've been looking at i7 laptops, 15.6 in display with an nvidia 650m GPU. the lenovo y500 is one that stood out which is a very cheap laptop for what it offers and it will surely get the job done. Is it worth getting? Is there a better laptop for around 1,000? or should I wait for the new processors?

Solution
The only reason to wait for the 4 generation i7's would be the stronger integrated graphics they'll offer. But since your specs include a dedicated GPU(650M), there is no reason to wait. As even the next generation integrated graphics on the i7 will still be weak when compared to a discrete GPU.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
The only reason to wait for the 4 generation i7's would be the stronger integrated graphics they'll offer. But since your specs include a dedicated GPU(650M), there is no reason to wait. As even the next generation integrated graphics on the i7 will still be weak when compared to a discrete GPU.

Solution