When to buy?

kmaster224

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I was going to purchase a G74SX in about a month, one of the cheaper models around $1200, but the G75 might be coming out soon? Should I go ahead and purchase a G74 now or wait until the G75 with supposedly 3rd gen Intel processor and the GTX 6** GPU? Or is there another sub $1200 gaming laptop that would be good to get?

Solution
Hello kmaster224;

Can you wait till April? No? Not a problem. You'll get a good notebook.

Yes? You might have extra options, like slightly lower prices on G74SX as inventory is sold off. And you'll have a chance to see some more performance reviews on the new hardware to decide if you want to step up to the next Gen parts.
Just be aware - instead of prices dropping on G74SX they might possible go up if they get 'rare' or they might sell out completely and not be available.
Hello kmaster224;

Can you wait till April? No? Not a problem. You'll get a good notebook.

Yes? You might have extra options, like slightly lower prices on G74SX as inventory is sold off. And you'll have a chance to see some more performance reviews on the new hardware to decide if you want to step up to the next Gen parts.
Just be aware - instead of prices dropping on G74SX they might possible go up if they get 'rare' or they might sell out completely and not be available.

Solution
I would say wait the extra month so that Ivy Bridge laptops will hit the market. Just realize at that point in time it is the beginning of a new product cycle which means you're going to maybe hear about something even better coming down the line.

If you can resist the waiting beyond April, you should still be able to pick up something good.