when will maxwell come to mobile gpu's ?

Mizo Zizo

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
last year we were promised that nvidia will introduce the maxwell technology to their gpu line of production .that what we thought the 800m series is all about
but i was surprised that my 870m loaded in my gt70 dominator laptop from msi ,is just another modded version of the 770m .it's no maxwell .it's just a higher clocked thinner kepler
my question is with all this new gibberish from nvidia about launching volta after maxwell and such , when will maxwell come into the gpu mobile line?is there any existing mobile gpu with this technology yet ?
thanks so much

Solution

Well, back in April Asus released the N550JK-DS71T which has the GeForce GTX 850M , which is a Maxwell GPU. So it's been out in the mobile wilderness for a while. But I'm...

anthony8989

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Well, back in April Asus released the N550JK-DS71T which has the GeForce GTX 850M , which is a Maxwell GPU. So it's been out in the mobile wilderness for a while. But I'm assuming you mean the higher end mobile GPU's. And the answer to that is soon™. But you can bet money that the mobile variants won't hit the scene until the desktop ones are out. So until you see desktop high end Maxwell, don't hold your breath!

Solution

Mizo Zizo

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
you are right some laptops shipped with 850m and 860m in maxwell technology . heck , some reviews and benchmarks were made on the 860m maxwell edition , i saw it with my own eyes before it got deleted somehow from that website!!
so it means it's here.it's available . so what is nvidia's strategy by holding them off ? and if they were waiting for the desktop versions to come in maxwell form , why on earth did they promise and delivered some mobile gpu's this year with mAxwell technology ?

anthony8989

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Well the GTX 750 and GTX 750 Ti hit the scene before their mobile counter parts you know. Likewise, the mid-high end Maxwell's ( GTX 860, 870, 880 ) will more than likely be out and available before the mobile versions. I'm just basing this off recent and past events.

Mizo Zizo

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
i am getting confused
the codename " 800 " is out on mobile before desktop ? why ? isn't it supposed to be the other way around ? the codename for the desktop variant is out then the same codename for a mobile gpu is issued with the letter M tagged along ?
and how is the 800 desktop series are related to their relatives the mobile versions if they are of another whole different architecture ?

anthony8989

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Where did you read that they were different architectures? Fermi, Kepler, Maxwell - those are architectures. The mobile versions are essentially de-tuned desktop chips. They have the same CUDA cores, ROPS, TMU's , etc. They just have much lower clocks and a lower thermal ceiling. Nvidia and Radeon play these name-games because it tricks uninformed people into thinking they're getting the latest and greatest technology when in reality they're really just getting a re-badge.