Whenever I Turn On My TV, It Blinks Red And Nothing Happens..

Wilson C

Estimable
May 2, 2015
Hello,
So first off i was watching some movies and then suddenly i heard a loud "POP" noise and a flash of bright light and my tv turned off and it started blinking red..

My TV Specs:
Samsung Smart TV LED 3D - 32 Inch
Model: UA32F6400AR

My TV is about 2 years old

InvalidError

Distinguished
With popping sounds and a light show, I think you can easily guess something went physically wrong with the electronics.

If it is still under warranty, you can try that. Otherwise, you could check for repairability. If you are lucky, it might just be some crappy caps in the power supply that blew up and the TV can be resurrected by putting better quality parts with better specs in. When things go bad to the point of something popping and making light though, there is a high probability of collateral damage to other components.

I wonder if your TV used Samwha caps. Samsung had many TVs and LCDs that became infamous because of them.

For me, checking and replacing OEM caps has become a regular maintenance item around the two years mark - I am really annoyed how nearly all manufacturers are shaving corners on their power supplies' output caps to guarantee devices will fail after 2-3 years when the rest of it could keep going for 7-10 years.

Wilson C

Estimable
May 2, 2015
looks like my tv healed itself.. lol it suddenly started working again.. but it randomly switches off and blinks red.. and it cannot read hdmi cables now :( can anyone help on that matter?

USAFRet

Illustrious

You really need to let a Samsung repair guy look at it.

InvalidError

Distinguished
My guess is one of the output filter capacitors blew up, the fault cleared itself enough to let the TV turn on again but the reduced power filtering is preventing the TV from operating normally.

At this point, it is highly probable that the faulty power supply may have damaged the HDMI input circuitry. My oldest LCD started having issues turning on and I did not bother trying to fix it until it would no longer turn on at all. By the time I did repair it, the DVI input was dead, now I can only use VGA with it.

Obstinately trying to turn faulty electronics back on is one of the worst things you can do if you have any intention of fixing it instead of running it until it dies.

Wilson C

Estimable
May 2, 2015

So do you suggest not to use it till it gets repaired?

InvalidError

Distinguished

If you want to minimize the risk of completely destroying it due to questionable operation in the meantime, yes.

If it is a blown capacitor as I suspect, the voltage regulation with one less capacitor helping with it will likely be horrible and may fry components if it has not already done so. If components on the main display board start blowing up, the repair bill will likely be over $300 for the new display board on top of the $100 for the power supply repair assuming the TV is no longer under warranty.

If you plan to have it repaired, you should unplug it until it is. Otherwise, it may go from repairable to beyond economic repair, assuming it is not already.

Wilson C

Estimable
May 2, 2015
Hey Guys,
So i called samsung customer care and a guy came and told that the pcb board of the tv is damaged and that he has to replace it, he even took 110$ for that... what do u guys think?