Where can I buy barebones laptop shells? Don't tell me that I can't build a laptop. I'm ready to solder. You will be dismis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2018
I am ready to solder and I know the socket types of laptops. I need a place to buy laptop shells. Do not tell me I can't build one because I'm ready to solder. Just because you can't solder doesn't mean you have to go on here and start going OH YOU CAN'T MAKE YOUR OWN LAPTOP. I want a genuine response on where to get laptop shells. If you don't have the response I'm looking for, please don't respond. Thank you.

Dismiss all you wish.
The fact you cannot find them, tells you pretty much all you need to know.

The "barebones" that do exist, support a limited set of hardware. Ie, add your own CPU (from a predefined list), RAM and storage. Very occassionally a GPU (again, with defined parameters).

The don't exist for a pretty simple reason:
By the time you account for all potential build variants, allow for adequate cooling of everything AND make it relatively affordable; what do you have?
a mITX case with a screen attached. Something nobody has asked for, is not portable & is unlikely to aesthetically pleasing.

Huge R&D and budgets go into designed systems that can be portable, thin and adequately (sometimes) cool specific components.
Even if it *could* be done, who's investing the R&D money? Given the demand for such a product is so niche, the end result will never be "cheap".
I don't see anywhere close to the required amount of demand for it to even come close to breaking even - and that's assuming that each unit would be a pretty expensive purchase!

:lol: And just because you can (or are ready to) solder doesn't miraculously make it possible

Research, develop, test. Buy a ridiculously expensive 3D printer to test theories. Work as a one-man show. Spend 5years developing & testing. Then realize that the requirements have changes (5 years of developments in tech afterall) and start over.... probably on a never-ending cycle. Eventually you'll have a somewhat viable laptop shell. It'll be for older tech at that point but hey, it's a laptop shell?

Probably not the most cost effective thing in the world though......

Oops.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.