Where's Waldo? Lab Loses Poorly Named Robot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jclonts82

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
... hope Nemo doesn't get lost too. Where's Waldo? Finding Nemo?... ... Where in the world is Carmen (Sandiego)???

LOL

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I heard about this over the weekend...if someone does find it they have only two choices: keep it or give it back. If they try to sell it I would bet they would be caught and prosecuted.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]major7up[/nom]I heard about this over the weekend...if someone does find it they have only two choices: keep it or give it back. If they try to sell it I would bet they would be caught and prosecuted.[/citation]
Not if I claimed salvage rights.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
If it sank... does that mean someone can claim salvage rights? I'm sure someone could make more money claiming salvage rights than getting a mire $500 reward. The lab would be able to claim ownership, but would be forced to pay for recovery.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
"Hey guys.... We spent $130,000 on this thing... maybe we should put a backup locater on it...?"

"NO! Now shut up! Can't you see I'm playing Halo?!"

G

Seriously calling a AUV Waldo? Maybe safer had they gone with Titanic II.

http://www.explosm.net/comics/409/

Andraxxus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
"This is why Mote is offering a $500 "No-Questions-Asked" reward for the return of the robot."
So they give you just $500 and when you ask: "That's it?" they'll tell
you that the "No-Questions-Asked" works both ways.
BTW Jclonts82 you beat me to it :)

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]$500? Try $10,000 or more lol.[/citation]
What value is the machine to you? Your choice is either throw it away (net gain $0) or return it for $500.

I'm no mariner, so I can't say how salvage rights would apply here, but I think if you picked up a floating autonomous research vessel, they'd be more likely to arrest your for stealing than granting you salvage.

G

Now if only they had installed a beacon on this thing like the one they used on Air France 447's black box, then they could, um..... never mind.

graviongr

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Ok, I get the offering a reward part. And I get they're probably not made of money, obtaining these funds through grants or private "loans" that may or may not have to be paid back...

But $500? For a $130,000 machine? Obviously if some random fisherman finds this and realizes it's worth $130,000, they may take their chances on trying to fence it.

Wheras if they offered say... $5000, or even $3000. Then I'm sure said potential ransomer would find much more incentive to be a good samaritan about the whole thing and just go for the no fuss $3-5k.

$500 is a nice chunk of change sure, but it's not even a mortgage payment, hell barely a monthly car+insurance payment. Give people a reason to turn it into you, and consider it a cheap lesson in redundant locator systems.

By the way, I know for a fact that some people would return this without even asking for ANY reward, but there are far, far more people that would consider ransoming it for as much as they possibly can.

tstebbens

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
What's the betting some enterprising narcotics smuggler has nabbed it and is, right now, having it reprogrammed to cart drugs from Cuba to Miami? Would be less easy to track than a high-power speedboat.

Status
Not open for further replies.