Which amp should I buy for my speakers?

cirjakvoja

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015
Hello people of the tomshardware. I need some help to chose an amp for my Wharfedale DIamond 225 which I will be using on my PC. After seeing what's available to me I have come down to the SMLS SA-98, Q5 pro, FXaudio D802.
A guy told me that the SA98 has the most power (60WPC at 8Ω), however he told me that this power is useless since I wont be cranking the volume up to the max, so I wont be using that power, tell me if this is true. Instead he recommended me the Q5 pro and the D802. From what I understand, the Q5 pro has more inputs, and the D802 has way more power (25WPC at 8Ω on the Q5 pro to 50WPC at 8Ω on the D802).
Now I have a very hard time chosing between these three amps. Should I go for the most power on the SA98? More options and more inputs on the Q5 pro? Or more options and more power on the D802?

dudio

Admirable
Have you thought about getting a home surround Receiver (even 2.0) instead of those little highschool project amps?
I don't mean to be nasty, but a decent amp needs a decent transformer, and those look like they'd have to try pretty hard to output any decent wattage (or quality of it).

Compuser10165

Estimable
Sep 12, 2015
Actually, I am researching into those same Wharfedale Speakers (for my desktop) but I was looking more into a higher price range for the amplifier (like the Denon PMA720AE, Onkyo A-9010, Marantz PM6005, Pioneer A30). Those are definitely much better in terms of sound quality and expandibility. I don't know how good any of your listed budget amplifiers will fare with those pair of speakers since I never got the chance to actually listen those speakers anywhere but from the 3 I would pick the FXaudio D802 since It also provides some EQ options. Also, what the 225's lack is the bass but that could be solved in the future if you wish to add a subwoofer. What is your use case for this speakers (kind of music, placement)?

cirjakvoja

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015

Good to know. Both the D802 and the Q5 pro offer EQ options (they both can adjust the bass, treble etc.)
Look guys, I am 16 years old. Im tight on cash, and even this much money is a big amount for me. I am spending 300 euros on the speakers and I want to spend no more than 150 on the amp. I am no audiophile, and most people say that these amps are the budget audiophile, meaning these are the best amps for their price point and I doubt that I myself would hear the difference between one of these three and a 200 euro amp. I think that these would work amazingly, and personally I dont see a reason for going more expensive. I dont really understand what difference it would make. A guy called Z reviews, he reviewed all 3 of these and he said that they work pretty well. I just need to make a choice on which one to buy.

cirjakvoja

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015

all these amps come with pretty big power supplies, that is the reason why they are so small. I havent been looking forward to buying a receiver since they are pretty expensive and I dont see a reason to waste money on one

cirjakvoja

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015

I would use these mainly for listening to music. I will have these speakers in my very small room, and I will be sitting right in front of them

Compuser10165

Estimable
Sep 12, 2015

In that case, I guess the FXaudio D802 would do well. To be honest, I think any of these 3 amplifiers are about the same quality (and also, price) and will provide a vert good audio experience with the Wharfedale speakers given the room is not large. Most of the time, I guess you'll keep the volume near the minimum (loud enough).

cirjakvoja

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015

I still dont know which one to chose though :/ The Q5 pro also seems to have a DAC, which I dont know what the purpose is for. But 25W at 8Ω doesnt sound very good. FXaudio seems to give more power though at 50W at 8Ω. But what I dont understand is why the guy recommended me the more expensive Q5 pro over the FXaudio D802..
And also to say I dont see any benefits of the SA98