Which ASUS laptop for an architecture student?

Lolad1997

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015
Trying to decide on which laptop to purchase for architecture school. Replacing a Lenovo Y50 touch that literally fell apart within three weeks of purchase last week due to a faulty/broken left hinge, which led to the plastic around the monitor breaking. Will not buy another Lenovo even if it was a fluke! Looking now at ASUS UX501JW-UB71T zenbook, with 4k screen, 16 gb RAM, 512 SSD, Nivdia 960, Intel Core i7-4720HQ for $1499; an ASUQ551LN with i7-5550U processor, 8 gb RAM and I TB hard drive 5400 rpm; Nivdia 950 for $999; and the ASUS Rog GL551JW-DS71 with 16 gb RAM, 1 TB hard drive 7200 rpm, Nivdia GTX 960m; and i7-4720HQ processor.

The first and second choices are both touchscreens which would be nice but not necessary. My only hesitation on the Ux501 is the 4k screen, I hear it is hard to manage architecture programs as it make the icons very small, but overall it is my favorite of the three. I guess I'm asking if I could spend less money (999) with one of the other choices and be ok?

Any input/opinions are welcome. I do not have time to build a workstation and wait for it to ship to me (plus they would be way more expensive). Looking to buy this weekend! Thanks!

Solution
Honestly, I like the last one you listed. The first one is nice, but seems a bit overkill and I can imagine you are correct on the 4k screen. the second has less ram and a slower hard drive, although you should probably look to upgrade to an SSD anyways. I'm sure it would be wise to double check the requirements for the programs and software that you are using as well... but if it were me, i would go with #3
Honestly, I like the last one you listed. The first one is nice, but seems a bit overkill and I can imagine you are correct on the 4k screen. the second has less ram and a slower hard drive, although you should probably look to upgrade to an SSD anyways. I'm sure it would be wise to double check the requirements for the programs and software that you are using as well... but if it were me, i would go with #3

Solution