Which camera lens should I get?

adeliaarsen

Estimable
Jul 5, 2014
Hi, i have a Canon Rebel Xs (digital slr camera) and i'm wanting to buy a new lens for it.
At the moment i have an 18-55mm IS lens, the image stabilizer is really helping me.
I'm deciding whether to get a Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM lens, a Canon EF-S 60mm Macro USM lens, or a Canon EF 100mm Macro USM lens.
I cannot afford the EF 180mm macro lens.
At the moment i am taking photographs of flowers close up, portraits, night photos and small things. Also, i've taken some scenery shots but i'm not very good at capturing them from the best angle. With a new camera lens i want to be able to blur the background better, especially for portraits and close ups. I think if i get a macro lens (i think it is the better choice for my kind of photography) i will need to buy a tripod as well because the macro lenses don't have image stabilizers, this is no trouble.
Just wondering which lens i should get, and the differences between a 60mm and 100mm macro lens. Thanks
cn8OF4
:)

Solution

Agree with this.

The lens I recommend any Canon user invests in is the 50mm 1.8, you can pick one up for around $60-$100 and is an incredible lens for the price. And just plain fun to play with portraits or other macro type shots on a 1.8 aperture.

For my money I love my wide angle. Will help with your landscape shots but only if you want to improve/learn landscape. Honestly, stick with what you currently love and get a Macro. You wont stop...
You are correct in the choice of a macro lens for flowers and small objects photography. Between the 60mm and the 100mm, get the one that is less expensive. Either one will work well.

A tripod will help as you have pointed out. You can improve your hand-held steadiness by practicing in a room. Shine a light to the lens (or tape a small compact mirror to the lens cover) and watch the beam against a wall as you release the shutter. Practice will improve your steadiness. A cable release will help if this option is feasible.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/07/07/3-ways-to-hold-a-camera-steady-without-a-tripod/
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/07/25/more-ways-to-hold-a-camera-steady-when-a-tripod-isnt-possible/

Holding the camera body upside down and resting the wide part against your forehead will help steady your shot. Recently I took some pics with my telephoto zoom lens at the 300mm setting by resting it on the wood railing of our backyard deck. Got good pics of a robin sitting on eggs in her nest.

Good luck!

GarryH_Geek

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Try Canon EF 50/2.5; this is not a "true" macro lens having only 1:2 magnification but it can be used as very good lens for portrait and casual photos. I did have one with my Canon 7D and was glad to use it and see photos from it. It is a regret that this lens is often underestimated.

JoelonGC

Estimable
Jul 6, 2014

Agree with this.

The lens I recommend any Canon user invests in is the 50mm 1.8, you can pick one up for around $60-$100 and is an incredible lens for the price. And just plain fun to play with portraits or other macro type shots on a 1.8 aperture.

For my money I love my wide angle. Will help with your landscape shots but only if you want to improve/learn landscape. Honestly, stick with what you currently love and get a Macro. You wont stop playing, and also pickup a cheap ring flash off Ebay to play with your flower shots.

Solution