which config is better

bellyfire

Estimable
May 26, 2014
Hi,
I am looking to buy a new laptop. I was hoping that this laptop would allow me to play on medium settings at playable frames. The games that I plan to play starting from recent two years (borderlands 2 onwards).
My question is how much difference in gaming will there be between -
i7 4500u, amd 8850m gddr5, 8gb ram ddr3 (dell 5537)
Or
i5 4200u, nvidia 750m, 6gb ram ddr3 (dell 7537)
Other specs are similar.
Also I do not have the budget to buy a more expensive laptop. I feel I must also mention that 7537 appeals to me looks wise.

Solution
The Nvidia 750m is better than the 8850m. Though the 8850m isn't that bad at all, and it has a stronger CPU and RAMs. But the 750m is better, but lower GB ram, and slightly lower CPU performance. Conclusion : 750m is the best card between those two, though the i7 is better, and the RAM is better. So i'd go for the 8850m build, mainly because it has a better CPU and more gb ram. The 8850m will still be able to run modern games decently. So it's a fine choice.

fjaesbog

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
The Nvidia 750m is better than the 8850m. Though the 8850m isn't that bad at all, and it has a stronger CPU and RAMs. But the 750m is better, but lower GB ram, and slightly lower CPU performance. Conclusion : 750m is the best card between those two, though the i7 is better, and the RAM is better. So i'd go for the 8850m build, mainly because it has a better CPU and more gb ram. The 8850m will still be able to run modern games decently. So it's a fine choice.

Solution

bellyfire

Estimable
May 26, 2014
I just now am reading about people complaining about 8850 after 8.1 win update, although most complaints are from about 6 mths ago. Do I need to worry about that.
Also would the i5 one have appreciably lower performance.

fjaesbog

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Well i really do not have the answer for that. There may have been an update fixing that issue, but don't take that as an solution to the question, since i'm not sure.
And no, the i5 won't be that lower. You'll still be able to run all modern games easily. Imo, you decide what you want. They are both great laptops.

bellyfire

Estimable
May 26, 2014
Sorry to be posting again.

I ws looking at comparison charts mentioned in other posts, for 8850m and 750m. The former seems to be ranked higher only on terms of vertex and pixel shaders, everything else being better for 750m.
Are shaders that much more important that everything else becomes trivial.
Secondly if I go for 8850m laptop, then how big is going to be amd's driver issue going to be.

fjaesbog

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Well shader increases performance of the card, so yes they're important if you're into gaming.
The driver issue isn't anything you should worry about. When drivers come out, and has an issue, it'll be fixed within a period of time (max a month). So i don't 'Think' there should be a issue with the drivers now. Try to research about this problem. I haven't heard about it..