Which cpu is faster and what purpose does the cache on the processor serve? AMD Dual-Core A9-9410 APU (2.9 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz,

Krisc8

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
I'm trying to decide whether to get more memory and a hard drive for my Toshiba laptop or to just buy a new laptop. The new HP laptop I'm considering has an AMD Dual-Core A9-9410 APU (2.9 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz, 1 MB cache) + AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics. My Toshiba laptop has an AMD Quad-Core A6-3420M Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon™ HD 6520G Graphics o 1.5GHz base(2.4 GHz with AMD Turbo Core Technology), 4MB Cache. What purpose does the 4MB or 1MB Cache serve?

Solution
I think your best option is just to wait and save some more money for a better laptop with either a 4 core i5/i7 or wait for the Ryzen APUs. As a matter of fact your old Toshiba is actually faster than the new hp.

Finstar

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
I think your best option is just to wait and save some more money for a better laptop with either a 4 core i5/i7 or wait for the Ryzen APUs. As a matter of fact your old Toshiba is actually faster than the new hp.

Solution

Krisc8

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
Thank you for your quick response. I agree with your answer and had planned on doing just that, until my Toshiba hard drive started acting up and giving me warning messages that my hard drive is failing. I could just buy another SATA hard drive and pop it in for about $59. and add another 4gb memory module which should get me through the waiting period (I hope). Thanks again!