Which DAC/AMP 2 in 1 I can get for the most bang for the bucks?

EndlessFQ

Estimable
Mar 9, 2015
I bought the Mackie CR3 and owning many headphones. My favorite one is ATH-M50X. I considering getting DAC/AMP for my pc set up.

Solution
the m50x do not benefit much from a strong amplifier so do not expect much change from that alone. you are bound to notice more from eq adjustments and bass-boost features.

the fiio e10k is a good budget choice at only $75

the audioengine d1 is popular as well but is over double the price yet not really superior to the fiio. the o2+odac combination is popular as well but more costly. the schiit modi+magni (or vali) stack is always a good choice if you're looking for transparent output though is going to run $200.
the m50x do not benefit much from a strong amplifier so do not expect much change from that alone. you are bound to notice more from eq adjustments and bass-boost features.

the fiio e10k is a good budget choice at only $75

the audioengine d1 is popular as well but is over double the price yet not really superior to the fiio. the o2+odac combination is popular as well but more costly. the schiit modi+magni (or vali) stack is always a good choice if you're looking for transparent output though is going to run $200.

Solution

EndlessFQ

Estimable
Mar 9, 2015

I guess it decided, Fiio was mentioned so many time on LifeHack. Just to be clear, how do I use it with Mackie CR3? I never had any experience with a DAC.

not entirely true. your pc onboard sound or soundcard is essentially a dac+amp since it converts from digital to analog. but yes, i get what you mean (you never used an external dac).

in the case of the fiio e10k, i'd likely use the line-out (unpowered) jack on the rear since your speakers are self powered and connect it to the rca inputs on the speakers. the powered front connector i'd use with headphones. besides an adapter cable theres not much else to say.

now, technically theres another option i did not list since which would be usb audio interfaces. those act as a dac as well though arent generally going to have strong amps, some may be okay with some headphone without one while others absolutely need an amp before headphones. ones like the scarlett 2i4 (though there may be cheaper options with the feature) have balanced outputs for going to your speakers. generally audio interfaces are used by people who record and use XLR style microphones. think youtubers, twitch streamers, etcetera.

not sure what exact purposes you have or your future plans. just thought i'd fill in the missing piece. a usb dac+amp like the fiio e10k is more for casual listening and not for people who record professionally.