Which do you prefer: Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jimbowne

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Hello people. I recently purchased new speakers (Acesonic 510 speakers)and a pioneer 819 av receiver capable of decoding TrueHD and DTS HD. Since my previous setup was only able to decode dolby digital and dts, how much better are the new formats? I imagine they are pretty noticeable considering the difference in quality I heard while comparing dts to dts 96/24. What are your thoughts about the new formats?

-I also have to admit a personal bias favoring DTS.

Dec 23, 2015

ElBuho

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016

that is why i use only dvd player and see only dvd movies because i have only 2 speakers and dolby 2.0 mono or stereo is the best for my 2 speakers and dvd dont use 24 bit audio that is why i love it even more we can not hear more than 20khz anyway

bmcelvan

Estimable
Jan 8, 2015

I think you think it sounds better specifically because of your "55 year old years battered by concert" ears. DTS is usually louder (louder does not mean better nor more fidelity), it just means louder. However, it is, literally, human nature for louder things to appear better to the human brain. You can hear it more easily and you think it is better. There are numerous papers on this and lots of studies that directly lead to the the 1970s and 1980s advertisement VOLUME HIKE in ads between shows. Louder means you're more likely to listen to it, hear it, like it.

With that said, in double blind testing, 5.1 AC3 at 640kbps (not the standard DVD 448 but the full 640) has had the same results as somewhere in the ~200kbps mp3s as compared to compressed lossless and uncompressed lcpm audio. THE HUMAN EAR CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE when properly adjusted for volume and encoded from the same source.

That doesn't mean there aren't a few rare people who really can tell the difference, there might be, but we're talking a really small percentage of people. The human ear range is pretty tight, there are certainly people who can hear better than others but it's not orders of magnitude, there are no "magical" ears, the ears can only hear so much.

Also, that doesn't mean you can get around your brain either. For example in your case you now think that AC3 sucks and DTS is better or the best. I doubt there is anything that is going to let you (your brain) have an objective opinion about this anymore except for possibly doing a proper double blind audio test.

However, even if proven wrong, many pyschological studies have shown that you will then be MORE LIKELY to believe the bias because you were proven wrong.

And in the end no matter what if given the choice you're gonna pick DTS over AC3, it's just how the brain works. Unless you can really stay unbiased and objective, which is very hard for humans to truly do, but can be done with training.

bmcelvan

Estimable
Jan 8, 2015

I really don't understand your argument very much. You do realize that:

NO SOUND IS EVER RECORDED IN DOLBY or DTS, right?

Those are codecs used when the movie is released for distribution!! And even then if using lossless codecs, THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN AUDIO SIGNAL. Unless they are encoded from different mixes or masters of course. There can be modifiers in the code that tell playback devices how to play it back and even these you can usually turn off if you like.

SOUND IS RECORDED PCM OR LPCM

or any other RAW audio format that literally just records sound.

Let me say this, professional audio is recorded this way. Sure cell phone and many other devices can record sound in mp3 or whatever format, but even then I think it is originally recorded in raw and then converted and the raw deleted.

And then the whole DVD versus BD thing...are you freaking serious? DVDs look okay when played on DVD players and on an old 480p TV. However on newer HD TVs, they look like crap. Bluray BLOWS DVD OUT OF THE WATER!!!

I don't think you know the difference between new technology/new science, and brand names.

DVDs are a technology that store information on a physical disc. Blurays or BDs are the exact same thing. They just store the information differently. As a result, you can store nearly 6 times as much information on a BD as a DVD. Because of this difference, BDs contain much better looking (and arguably) better sounding media. That's not really a debate.

Your whole die hard argument makes no sense to me either. Look I think it silly to pay more for the TrueHD and DTSHDMA tracks, drives me crazy. It costs the same (or more) to convert them to lossy formats than lossless formats, it is marketing sure. BUT, in the case of DIE HARD, they actually had to pay someone to RE MIX THE AUDIO tracks into the new 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever. It's not like they are converting the old sound, they are REMIXING IT!! It doesn't always sound better and you can have someone unqualified to do it of course, but barring something crazy and unexpected, a remixed HD audio version of a movie sound track should sound much better than a dolby stereo version from 30 years ago.

It goes back to how audio is recorded...it's raw audio data. If it is remixed from the originals (which of course it would be), then you can't have any better starting material...unless of course those originals have degraded.

stjernholm

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018
I wonder why no one is ever mentioning the huge advantage of Dolby TrueHD vs DTS HD:

METADATA! Dolby TrueHD has the ability to add dynamic compression in a controlled fashion upon decoding if desired by the listener. This means that soundtracks can be mixed to the highest denominator with full dynamic range, and compression can be applied in a way determined by the mixing engineer e.g for late night listening BY YOUR PLAYBACK DEVICE! These fantastic and costumer-focussed features are not available with DTS, that is engineered way more crude in comparison with Dolby. From a pure sound quality perspective, they both sound great, but the flexibility of Dolby systems yields for a much better tailormade experience for the user.

Because DTS does not have these features, mixes often tends to be lowest denominator = less dynamic range, flat and boring to reach some middle ground. This is not because of the codec, but is due to the lack of features. A Dolby TrueHD soundtrack is also more a guarantee that the studio releasing knows what they are doing, as Dolby TrueHD requires some thinking to deliver correctly.

The real reason for the change towards DTS HD is probably much more likely, that the tools used to encode in the formats are much cheaper for the studios when using DTS than the tools for Dolby TrueHD (as of 2010). I find it saddening, that the best possible experience is obviously not what is driving the studios, even though Blu-Ray is becoming a pure entusiast medium for costumers that insist on the best possible presentation of the source material. It is time that the studios realise that, and step up their efforts to deliver the best possible experiences on BD and UHDBD now that online delivery / crap quality has become the standard.

Dolby TrueHD ticks all the boxes for this purpose, as it can deliver highest denominator and scale down in a controlled way to suit lesser playback environments in a way that DTS cant.

For anyone that actually has the ability to listen to the difference on a good home theater system between a Dolby Digital online streaming version of a movie vs a Dolby TrueHD delivery from a blu-ray of the same material, you will be left enlightened and chocked that so many people are missing so much from their movie experience.

ElBuho

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016

ElBuho

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016

ElBuho

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016
that bluray is better than dvd in sound is not really true, i have a dvd of the first dracula that blows away the bluray audio of the same dracula movie! and the picture looks better in many parts in the dvd but sometimes the picture is better in the bluray.

ElBuho

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016
ps. i dont know if bluray use sometimes 24 bit 96 or 192 in movies, but i feel everything over 44khz is garbage! so for me no more than 48khz please 44khz is enought already.