Which file types support Stereoscopic 3D?

DeadlyShadow

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Hello!

I'm a student creating a project for my major, and I need some help with authoring/rendering. I have both vegas and After effects, and I have created the 3D effect inside both programs. However I am unsure which filetype supports 3D, and whether is it ONLY bluray files which support it. Please let me know, as I've been going nuts all week trying to figure it out. Thanks!

Also, can you only render 3D to bluray discs or can it be done with another file format?

Solution
You need to be clear on what type of stereoscopy you are talking about, in particular:
a) Passive, or
b) Active Shutter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoscopy

Passive is what you get at the movie theater so the information needed for both eyes is present in each frame of video. Thus, I wouldn't think the playback format would really matter once it's created.

Active shutter is completely different so only the data for the Left Eye is displayed while the glasses are polarized to block light to the right eye (and vice versa).

Since you need everything to be completely in synch here, the format matters more. There are likely embedded cues in the video file so BluRay is possibly the only main way to do this.

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
AFAIK there are basically three ways to get 3d, active glasses where every other frame is rendered for each eye, side by side which renders each frame twice on the same 1080p frame, and over under, which like side by side renders two pictures one over the other in a 1080p frame. The television can decode the picture from OU, SBS or Active Shutters into what looks like a 3d picture. If you have a 3d Blu Ray and a 2d tv, there's nothing you can do to get it into 3d. HOWEVER, if you take a standard encoded movie that is set up with 3d to MATCH the tv, then you can display in 3d. When I rip my Blu Rays and compress them into MKV format, there's nothing special for 3d, if you play it on a regular tv, it just looks like two pictures side by side (my preferred 3d), but when I play it on my HTPC I set the tv into 3d sbs mode and it automatically decodes it.

Before you can make something into a 3d movie, you have to decide what the tv you want it played on does. I think all the 3d tvs can decode SBS and OU, but only 3d tvs with active shutter glasses can decode the every other frame method. Hope this helps. Your question was kinda odd...

You need to be clear on what type of stereoscopy you are talking about, in particular:
a) Passive, or
b) Active Shutter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoscopy

Passive is what you get at the movie theater so the information needed for both eyes is present in each frame of video. Thus, I wouldn't think the playback format would really matter once it's created.

Active shutter is completely different so only the data for the Left Eye is displayed while the glasses are polarized to block light to the right eye (and vice versa).

Since you need everything to be completely in synch here, the format matters more. There are likely embedded cues in the video file so BluRay is possibly the only main way to do this.

Solution

DeadlyShadow

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
I appreciate the fast responces! I understand it was poorly worded, as I'm just trying to get a grasp/comprehend how this really works.

I'm sorry I didnt mention this before, but I'm actually going to be using my desktop, rather than a 3D TV. I am most likely going to be buying a 3D monitor (BenQ XL2411T) with the Nvidia 3D vision kit, and a Bluray read/writer. so that'd be an Active Shutter I'd imagine.

So far what I understand is, I'd have to render it out as a .mkv(?) or a similar Blu-ray file type, and either use a 3D Video player or burn it to a Bluray disc and play it from there. Is this correct?

Once again Thank-you for the help!

TRENDING THREADS