Which gaming laptop should I select between these two Laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
It appears to be a choice between the 128GB SSD and 8GB more system memory.

I would definitely go with the 16GB model.

I would assume you can add an SSD later (M.2 2280 PCIe ??) since they likely share the same exact motherboard etc.

*I do recommend you PARTITION the 2TB HDD so the Windows (C-drive) partition is 200GB. Ask for help or Google how.

That way you can for example make a STEAM partition on the 2nd partition (E-drive) which makes it very easy to add a 250GB SSD later and CLONE the Windows partition over.

So...
1) partition the 2TB HDD (200GB, possibly 450GB if adding 500GB SSD later to put some games on the SSD)... 2nd partition is rest of space

2) buy SSD later
3) CLONE Windows partition over
4) boot to BIOS (sometimes...
It appears to be a choice between the 128GB SSD and 8GB more system memory.

I would definitely go with the 16GB model.

I would assume you can add an SSD later (M.2 2280 PCIe ??) since they likely share the same exact motherboard etc.

*I do recommend you PARTITION the 2TB HDD so the Windows (C-drive) partition is 200GB. Ask for help or Google how.

That way you can for example make a STEAM partition on the 2nd partition (E-drive) which makes it very easy to add a 250GB SSD later and CLONE the Windows partition over.

So...
1) partition the 2TB HDD (200GB, possibly 450GB if adding 500GB SSD later to put some games on the SSD)... 2nd partition is rest of space

2) buy SSD later
3) CLONE Windows partition over
4) boot to BIOS (sometimes Power + F2) and change boot order to SSD

5) TEST for at least a week
6) use Disk Management to delete, then recover the HDD Windows partition
7) make a compressed backup IMAGE of the SSD so you can RESTORE it in case of SSD hardware or software issues (Acronis True Image or similar)

Solution
Other:
Also, adding another 8GB of memory yourself could be problematic if you didn't find an EXACT stick of the same model. Not always needed, but sometimes it is.

The 8GB is going to be a single stick too so lower memory BANDWIDTH which could cause a small LOSS of performance in some situations. In some games it could make a 10% difference or so. Not most, just some.

The 16GB would be 2x8GB setup in Dual Channel (so 2x the bandwidth as 1x8GB). Again, 1x8GB 2133MHz is mostly fine but 2x8GB will sometimes help eliminate a memory-to-CPU bottleneck.

You can also get an SSD that is 250GB for roughly the same price as 1x8GB DDR4 2133MHz SODIMM. (again, assuming you can match the DDR4 memory or buy a different stick which is compatible)

The SSD appears to be 2.5", so I'm guessing the laptop supports 2x2.5" drives, probably no M.2 support. If it does support M.2 then I'd get one of those instead but be very, very certain it is supported.

THIS is the 250GB 2.5" model I recommend: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3kL7YJ/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e250bam

^^^This, is good advice as well.

As to the storage, bottom line is that is it becoming less expensive to add a larger HDD or SSD than it is to add memory, and considering that adding RAM can be a finicky process anyhow, moreso with SODIMMs, I'd rather need to swap a bigger drive in than buy another 8GB of memory that may or may not be compartible with what's in there now even if it has the exact same part number.

Cheapest 8GB 260 pin DDR4 SODIMM right now is like 90 bucks. You can get a 250GB SSD for less than that, even if it's M.2.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=402133&t=15&Z=8192001&sort=price&page=1

Status
Not open for further replies.