Which graphic component is being used?

tushkidon

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
My laptop has a HDMI port and a VGA port. I've connected an external monitor using the HDMI. I have a GeForce GT630M 2gb video card and Intel HD Graphics 4000 as the onboard graphics. I'm just wondering, when I start to play a game with the external monitor connected, which graphics processor is giving me the output? The Intel or the nVIDIA? Do I need to connect my external monitor with a VGA cable to utilize my 630m? This all might sound dumb, but I got really confused when I saw this in the nVIDIA control panel.. http://imgur.com/ZjVdAei

ZjVdAei

Solution
They are both connected to the motherboard. Your computer will automatically choose which one it needs to perform the operation based on application requirements. Some laptops may have a dual graphics option if you right click on the desktop to set it up. Otherwise, if you have the latest drivers installed, right click on desktop, select Nvidia control panel, then go to manage 3d settings, and you will see near the top preferred graphics processor. It's likely set at autoselect. You can change it to integrated or the Nvidia. If you select NVidia it will always use your NVidia card even when not playing games. This may heat up your computer, wear it out faster, and definitely run your battery down faster, but it will force all...

naturesninja

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
It's just selecting which one to use PhysX for. Nvidia proprietary. It should automatically use your gt630m when it needs to. PhysX is an option in some games, and switching it to your cpu, will take a little load off of your gpu when the occasion asks for it. You can also force your dedicated card to be used for specific applications.

naturesninja

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
To clarify, it should automatically use your gt630m when it needs to for video output, not PhysX. You video card will still be doing the workload, when the application requires more power than your cpu can give for video.

tushkidon

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009

Thank you!

So, the HDMI/VGA output is connected to GPU, and not the mainboard, right? I should've framed the question better lol.

naturesninja

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
They are both connected to the motherboard. Your computer will automatically choose which one it needs to perform the operation based on application requirements. Some laptops may have a dual graphics option if you right click on the desktop to set it up. Otherwise, if you have the latest drivers installed, right click on desktop, select Nvidia control panel, then go to manage 3d settings, and you will see near the top preferred graphics processor. It's likely set at autoselect. You can change it to integrated or the Nvidia. If you select NVidia it will always use your NVidia card even when not playing games. This may heat up your computer, wear it out faster, and definitely run your battery down faster, but it will force all applications to use it. I leave it on auto and haven't had any problems with it coming on when needed.

Solution

naturesninja

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Also, if you select program settings under manage 3d settings you can pick which one to use for a specific application under select a program to customize. Here it will show you what your games are already selected to use.

tushkidon

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009

Thank you so much! Never opened up a laptop, thought the innerworkings were like a desktop. -.-