Which GS4 is better? Octa core or Quad core?

Laban_18

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Hi guys. I have the opportunity to get either a samsung galaxy S4 octa core or a quad core version. Now, my question is, which one is better? I'm also interested in LTE, and i heard that a version does not support LTE, is that true?

Solution

The "octa core" version isn't an actual octa-core processor. It's two quad core processors, one for performance and one for efficiency. The firmware decides which one to use and swaps the loads between them.

That said, the performance of the Samsung big.LITTLE based (octa-core) version is slightly higher than the performance of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 (quad-core) version but the performance is generally limited by memory bandwidth as there's very little practical difference between those and the...

Pinhedd

Distinguished

The "octa core" version isn't an actual octa-core processor. It's two quad core processors, one for performance and one for efficiency. The firmware decides which one to use and swaps the loads between them.

That said, the performance of the Samsung big.LITTLE based (octa-core) version is slightly higher than the performance of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 (quad-core) version but the performance is generally limited by memory bandwidth as there's very little practical difference between those and the slower HTC One which uses the Snapdragon 600 at a lower clock speed.

The battery life of neither is particularly stellar and LTE (available only on the quad core version) chews up a lot of juice. HSPA+ (available on all versions) is still more than fast enough.

The best part of the GS4 is the screen, it's the best on any handset.

Solution