Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedro_13

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015
Hello,

Could you please give me some advice on choosing my new hard drive?
I'm choosing WD for it's reputation as a reliable hard drive manufacturer with a low doa and other failures rate.
But in the last months the company merged the Blue and Green series into just one. The thing is that now you can't get a budget 7200 rpm hd that has more than 1 tb. I want to get at least 2 tb, idealy 3 tb.
But those , as you know, are only avaiable in the 5400 rpm version.

I have a 1 tb ssd for the OS and games and programs. The hd would be used mostly for flac music files and hd video storage, so I still would like to have a good transfer speed. I would like to know to which extent would the 5400 vs 7200 hd affect the transfer speeds. And what do you recommend?

Seagate has a reputation for failures and HGST (hitachi), which I believe was acquired by WD, doesn't offer better prices for 7200 rpm disks (close to the Black WD). At least for my research, any other options would be appreciated.

Cheers

Solution
Personally my family has had way too many Seagate drives fail to ever recommend them to anyone. Seagate used to be great, but after how few WD drives I have seen fail compared to Seagate ones, it's easily worth the little bit extra money you pay for the quality of WD.
I have the same dilemma you're currently having. Trying to decide between the new WD Blue and the WD Black. I came across this video by WD (so take it with a grain of salt) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Faau_r7Rs
Since it was a video from WD, that wasn't enough to convince me. I then found this review of a WD Black drive on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R1IP074LBCN8FS?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl
According to his benchmark they really are similar performance, you just...

KKAW

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015

Seagate 1 TB 7200rpm is an excellent option.

Pedro_13

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015
Yes I read a lot a out it, but as I mentioned, there are so many complaints about how it fails after a short time. As I don't live in the USA it would be harder to me to use the warranty and send back the product. I want to get a hard drive that has less chances to stop working for no reason in a short period of time.
For my research the WD black should be a cool call, it's reliable, 7200 rpm and 2 or 3 tb. But it's overpriced in my opinion. About 140$ for the 2 tb version in Amazon. That's almost twice the price of the 2 tb Blue WD, which is 5400 rpm. And I could even go for the 3 tb blue 5400 rpm, which costs 99$.
This leads to the center of my question: is it really worth it to pay almost twice the price per gb for a 7200 rpm hd vs a 5400 one?

Hitachi, HGST should be the best of both worlds acording to my research, but apparently it is more expensive now, because I could find any 7200 rpm 2 tb for less than 130$, and most of the options don't have more than a few reviews, which makes me concerned about the risks of getting a fake one or deffective or something like that.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm not a native speaker.

KKAW

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015

I wouldn't worry about it.
The reviews on pcpartpickers on both companies both have positive and negatives and i've build plenty of systems with both those models and they have not failed at all and on my personal build i use the Seagate Barracuda 1 TB and i have absolutely no issues at all.

If you can get a good price for a 2 TB Seagate Barracuda you should go for it.

If not going for a 5400rpm is an ok option but it will defintely be slightly slower than the 7200 rpm.

Pedro_13

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015
for how long do you have yours? A couple of years ago I used to own a seagate disk and it failed after 1 year of use, it gave me some trouble at that time. So you see, I'm a bit resistant in getting another one. But i'm still opened to changing this conception. Can you give me some information that could change that?

KKAW

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015

The one i currently use has been used for about 6 months.

The one i have built for my friend 1.5 years ago and he seems to be having no issues at all.

chaz394

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Personally my family has had way too many Seagate drives fail to ever recommend them to anyone. Seagate used to be great, but after how few WD drives I have seen fail compared to Seagate ones, it's easily worth the little bit extra money you pay for the quality of WD.
I have the same dilemma you're currently having. Trying to decide between the new WD Blue and the WD Black. I came across this video by WD (so take it with a grain of salt) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Faau_r7Rs
Since it was a video from WD, that wasn't enough to convince me. I then found this review of a WD Black drive on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R1IP074LBCN8FS?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl
According to his benchmark they really are similar performance, you just get a longer warranty with a Black drive. I'm probably going to go with the Blue because I currently have two of the older 7200rpm 500GB Blue drives in my system (along with two 500GB Velociraptors) and they have been going strong for 5 years now. All 4 of the drives are in a raid0 array, so yes I definitely still trust them. I make nightly backups, but it's still risky (I like to live dangerously).

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.