Which headphones Guys?

rambo244

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
EDIT: Looking for a GOOD pair of headphones + AMP (if necessary) + soundcard? Im a newb when it comes to this stuff... please any suggestions?

Hey guys, I am looking to buy a new pair of headphones to go with my new PC build and was wondering which ones I should get..

Currently I have the AStro A40's and was thinking maybe there is something better out there???

I mainly use them to listen to music and watch movies on the computer.. I also like to talk in skype... but might buy a mic on its own? I hear headphones are better without mics attached on them..??

I have been looking at Shure, Dennon, and beyer .... just cannot decide and people say too many things that contradict one another....

I was thinking on getting a xonar dgx for my new build aswell for better sound?...

And any input would be much appreciated!

Main type of music I listen to is vocal trance/ chillstep/ armin van buuren.... alot of bass in some of these mixes so its important... and to be honest I just dont hear it in these astro a40's =( ...

Thanks again!

budget is around $200 as they are recreational in purpose and im not a proffesional dj ;) thanks again!

Oh.. and what mic...??? (mainly just going to use for skype)...

Solution
An external amp/sound processor will help with sound quality, if you want to get a similar sound from the PC, you can try a better sound card than onboard stuff. The ASUS Xonar series has some good reviews, but the best ones are over $200 just for the card. There is a "cheap" version under $100 you may want to read about, ASUS Xonar DX. There is also the OMEGA cards which have a built-in headphone amp, which cost $200, allowing you to use your existing headphones with the better quality of an amp with a better sound card for the same budget you picked http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271004 Those HT/OMEGA cards are also the only ones on newegg with a perfect 5 egg rating, so this could be your thing.

PsyKhiqZero

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Sound is always subjective. hardcore fanatics will want headphone with a very flat/neutral sound. Gamers tend to want headphones that are more bass heavy. So what about your A40's do you not like or wish was better?

rambo244

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013

Eh, I don't quite know... I just feel the Shure 840's that I used to have beat these Astro A40's..

Im a newb when it comes to headphones... but the bass isn't as much as i'd like with these astros... also they are quite low generally volume wise, wish they'd go just a touch louder... i usually have them on max volume + my pc controls volume are all at 100%...

Bass is def. important to me... I play games on my PC... also watch action movies mainly.. with alot of gunfire and explosions.. also i listen to music.. like trance and there is ALOT of bass in this genre..

Obviously I know little about headphones and cannot go into specifics.. but yes... thats about all I can say hope it helps

I actually used the astro A40's for Call of duty of my xbox.. with a mixamp.. and they were AMAZING... but right now im running them without a mixamp straight to line out on my pc ....

I dont know if this has anything to do with it... maybe I should stick with these headphones and get the mixamp and xonar card...?

An external amp/sound processor will help with sound quality, if you want to get a similar sound from the PC, you can try a better sound card than onboard stuff. The ASUS Xonar series has some good reviews, but the best ones are over $200 just for the card. There is a "cheap" version under $100 you may want to read about, ASUS Xonar DX. There is also the OMEGA cards which have a built-in headphone amp, which cost $200, allowing you to use your existing headphones with the better quality of an amp with a better sound card for the same budget you picked http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271004 Those HT/OMEGA cards are also the only ones on newegg with a perfect 5 egg rating, so this could be your thing.

Solution