ThatKidNextDoor

Estimable
Jul 17, 2015
At the moment I am unsure weather I should get the Kingston HyperX Cloud II or Audio Technica ATH M40X (with an external mic). They have a $30 (USD) price difference (price not including mic with the M40X). I will be gaming and listening to music with them. Also, suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Solution
you might want to list the prices you saw them for and are considering them at.

i'm seeing $60 for the hxc, $100 for the hxc2, $100 for the m40x on amazon usa.

while sound quality is not bad on the m40x (i have a m50s and gifted a pair of m30s years ago) they really arent the best for gaming due to small soundstage as all sounds will sound very close without much depth to them. if you want a bassy sound though they could work if you can live with small sounstage. you can buy the m50s for about $110 which feels much nicer on the head than the lower end products if you were considering them. due to being closed they do isolate you from noise but also get hot after a few hours of wearing them.

a better choice for gaming if you can use...
you might want to list the prices you saw them for and are considering them at.

i'm seeing $60 for the hxc, $100 for the hxc2, $100 for the m40x on amazon usa.

while sound quality is not bad on the m40x (i have a m50s and gifted a pair of m30s years ago) they really arent the best for gaming due to small soundstage as all sounds will sound very close without much depth to them. if you want a bassy sound though they could work if you can live with small sounstage. you can buy the m50s for about $110 which feels much nicer on the head than the lower end products if you were considering them. due to being closed they do isolate you from noise but also get hot after a few hours of wearing them.

a better choice for gaming if you can use open headphones (which can leak sound in and out so arent best in noisy environments) would be the sennheiser hd518 for $70 or hd558 for $105. both are open which means larger soundstage. not as much bass as the m50 but overall more neutral and laid back. they breath so arent as hot to wear. a good all around choice.

there is also the ad500x for $90 and the ad700x for $109 if you sacrificed on bass and wanted purely an advantageous (can hear footsteps and other small sounds easier) type of headphone for things like fps gaming ultra-competitively.

for the price, the hyper x (which is based on the takstar pro 80) is not a bad headset and is certainly a step up from many gaming headsets not based on headphones although of course its going to have trouble competing with any higher end products. the included microphone is fair though not great.

what works for you best depends on if you need open or closed and what kind of sound youre expecting to hear out of them.

Solution