Which headphones should I try?

Astronauto

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
At the moment I am using Sennheiser's PC 350 SE headset, and am receiving the sound card "Asus Xonar DG" in the mail tomorrow.

I want to try some of the headphones that a lot of people recommend.

I am looking for a headphone that would be perfect for my taste. I like loud music, specifically the genres "deathcore" and "metalcore," also occasionally some dubstep/techno where a lot of bass drops are prominent. I love a good bass kick, a hefty thump. For example, in my car I have bass boost on, not maxed out though. I generally keep it 2 out of 5 bars, so the rest of the music doesn't become just a bunch of trash can noise.

I am also looking for headphones that'd be nice with the Dolby 5.1 surround sound that comes on the Asus Xonar DG, for gaming. I am a gamer, but not an intense gamer like some. I like some good, accurate surround sound so I can hear what's going on around me in a game -- whether it be RPG, FPS, etc, but mainly I listen to music. This is why I think a nice pair of headphones and an external mic is the better option.

I have a price range of $150-200, which I know has a lot of good possibilities. I am curious to see what everyone here thinks.

if you like bass... the audiotechnica ath-m50 are good. the beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 are better. both are closed design which means a smaller soundstage which isnt quite as recommended for gaming but they would work.

the sennheiser 598 has a much less bassy sound but larger soundstage due to its open design. the hd558 is more bassy but not quite the same quality and cheaper. good options but if you like your bass on the higher side you may find them bass light.

the dt990 pro 250 is the best of both worlds... good soundstage and decent bass but you'd want a better amp than the dg has to really power them to their fullest.

Astronauto

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions, do you know of any good headsets as well? I've not been having good luck with Sennheiser's headsets, they just don't sound great to me.