Which is better and worth it ?

Jul 28, 2018
I've got a deal at my local online marketplace, that for a 720$ I can get a gaming laptop with gtx 1050 4gb VRAM, 8gb ddr4 2300mhz, and i5 7300HQ, Im asking is it worth the money, or would it be better if I just save the money and buy a 960$ gaming laptop with gtx 1050ti ?

Solution
Graphically speaking there's not that much difference between a 1050 4Gb and a 1050ti 4Gb, maybe 5-10fps at identical settings. But thats not including power consumption when relying on a battery. The 1050 has a lower power draw overall generally, so would be better on battery life. But that isn't comparing actual batteries, if the $960 laptop has a considerably longer lasting capable battery than the $720 laptop, even power differences will be in the more expensive laptops favor.

Don't base your purchase from the gpu alone, you'll have to look at the big picture and decide exactly what's going to be more useful. And then decide if the $240 difference is worth the price.

geofelt

Distinguished
How much do you need portability?
laptops are hard to figure out because there are so many other considerations.
Like screen size type and resolution which can not be changed after purchase.
Ditto graphics chips and keyboards.
I do not know that there is a major difference between a GTX1050 chip and a GTX1050ti chip.
Drives and storage can usually be changed.

For use as a laptop, there is a trade off between weight and screen size.

Ultimately, worth is something only YOU can determine.

Jul 28, 2018

Well, I do need a portable one. I'm going to study abroad and the idea of bringing my PC from home country is too expensive

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Graphically speaking there's not that much difference between a 1050 4Gb and a 1050ti 4Gb, maybe 5-10fps at identical settings. But thats not including power consumption when relying on a battery. The 1050 has a lower power draw overall generally, so would be better on battery life. But that isn't comparing actual batteries, if the $960 laptop has a considerably longer lasting capable battery than the $720 laptop, even power differences will be in the more expensive laptops favor.

Don't base your purchase from the gpu alone, you'll have to look at the big picture and decide exactly what's going to be more useful. And then decide if the $240 difference is worth the price.

Solution