Which laptop BIOS allows booting from a USB port?

inquiring2017

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
I want to buy a low end laptop and install Ubuntu from my USB flash drive. I just bought a laptop that I like but the BIOS wont let me boot from any USB port. How do I discover which laptops will allow me to boot from a USB port BEFORE I buy another laptop?
Thanks.

Solution
You would probably be much better served by looking for a low-end laptop that has Ubuntu installed as it's native OS. Low-end laptops are low-end because they typically do not come with a lot of options like installing a different OS and/or changing the boot order.

There is no easy way to find out what options are available in a given BIOS. To do what you're looking to do, you need to look into each option you find and delve into the user's manual for each laptop you are considering. Yes, it's a long and time consuming process.

-Wolf sends
You would probably be much better served by looking for a low-end laptop that has Ubuntu installed as it's native OS. Low-end laptops are low-end because they typically do not come with a lot of options like installing a different OS and/or changing the boot order.

There is no easy way to find out what options are available in a given BIOS. To do what you're looking to do, you need to look into each option you find and delve into the user's manual for each laptop you are considering. Yes, it's a long and time consuming process.

-Wolf sends

Solution