Which laptop brand do you prefer for ?

mike pyne

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Hello All,
I would like to get reviews on which laptop Brand do you prefer from the below list.

1) Averatec.
2) Gateway.
3) HP
4) Lenovo
5) Asus
6) Acer
7) MSI

Please feel free to express your views.
Regards,
Mike
Laptop Rental

frozenlead

Distinguished
I prefer Clevo/Sager notebooks, which is not on your list. I'm also surprised Dell is not there. I haven't dealt with averatec, but apparently they only sell 2 notebook models. Anyway, if I were to order your list in terms of my preference...

1. Lenovo
2. Asus
3. MSI
4. HP
5. Acer
6. Gateway
7. Averatec

Not really if you consider the hardware that they come with. If you compare similar systems from other high end system builders, they are usually better priced than the competition. Plus, they don't charge ridiculous prices for simple upgrades like Alienware does. They also offer some midrange and lowend systems that are pretty well priced.

Mike: http://sagernotebook.com/default.php
http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/index.asp

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
How come Sager/Clevo don't offer ONE model within their entire line with a LED screen display. There isn't one.

I was considering Sager/Clevo until I figured I would like to consider choices that included that option. Plus, they have good features/specs for the money but are still expensive.

cutterjohn

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
7) MSI

I own the GT725-074US which has GREAT specs for the price. Just about unbeatable if you can live with an ATI mobile GPU (linux catalyst is beyond awful!).

The build quality of the 725/1722(the generic chassis for system builder but it comes with a 9600M instead of 4850) is very good, and certainly better than their 625(9800M GS)/1651(9600M GT) chassis.

If I were going for nVidia, I'd likely go ASUS G50VT w/9800M even though it's 15" it's more like a bricklike 17" but build quality would be more consistent plus ASUS has a better warranty, 1y accidental + additional year parts & labor v. 1y period MSI (in US, 2y in ROW IIRC).

Core 2 in the PM45 config won't be going away for over a year if you want to upgrade CPU, although the only thing that I'd consider is the QX9300 as the 9000 is too slow(2GHz) or the P9500.

At the end of the day I'm really only most likely to upgrade DRAM to 8GB though so the core i<whatever it is> mobile just isn't worth it ATM, and DDR2 DRAM isn't likely to go away for a while anyways.

LED displays: probably more $$$ and most of the mfgs are low-cost guys, although in the case of the system builder chassis e.g. Sager/Clevo, MSI 1651/1722/etc. series I'm surprised that there are more LCD options as their configs can become quite expensive, esp. Sager/Clevo.

My main beef with MSI is the lack of BIOS changelogs(even their mb BIOS changelogs are crap, while nb are non-existent) and in the case of the 725 the older than dirt "official" MSI catalyst drivers and inability to install generic catalysts w/o tweaking the installer.

Because it's not a highly requested feature for gaming systems. Besides being a thinner and lighter screen and saving some battery life, they don't offer much more than a traditional LCD screen. The majority of the systems with LED backlights are smaller, portable systems or larger systems that have battery life in mind. To be quite blunt, Sager laptops aren't designed for battery life but for flat out performance.

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

Compaq is just a lower end of HP.

This is my list:

1. HP
2. ASUS
3. MSI
4. Sager/Clevo
5. Lenovo
6. Gateway
7. DELL
8. ACER

the only reason i put sager/clevo down is because i have had a great experience with HP, they have good prices compared to toshiba, dell,sony,gateway. And i haven't had much experience with sagers, i haven't even owned or seen one in real life.

cutterjohn

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Actually I went and did a brief prowl of the ASUS section at notebookreview and it looks like at least some of the upcoming ASUS models with have LED panels...

That is a will have. As far as I know, none of the current models do.

allen17

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
i prefer asus because they have a laptop that can run on crysis ,,,,,it is the asus f50 it has 4870x2 or you can chosse for 3530 and 4870
and it is core 2 duo having a 4g RAM and fits on ur budget

mike pyne

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Hi Upendra,

Few days back i saw in a magazine about graphics card for the laptops. NVidias released GeForce GTX 280M, GeForce 9700M, 9800M etc.
So i think now it is possible to upgrade video cards for Laptops as well. Even USB video cards are also available.

Regards,
Mike
Notebook Rental