-HD 4400
-8 GB (RAM)
-500 GB HDD

2) ASUS X550LD-XX023H
-i5-4200U
-Nvidia GeForce 820 2GB
-4 GB (RAM)
-500 GB HDD

They are almost identical in price and the only difference is that the Acer has more ram but no GPU and the ASUS has less RAM but a low-range GPU.

I would be using this laptop only to surf the web, some light programming (C/C++, Java, Perl), PostgreSQL, and some HTML, CSS, JS etc. web development related stuff. Nothing too serious, only learning and practice. I would install Linux on it and play no games at all.

So, which would be better?

Solution
With no game playing there is almost no difference. Neither ram or gpu will matter much. You should go find them in a store and touch them -- feel means a lot in laptops. Trackpad quality is important too - particularly with Win 8.

Other thoughts: The acer may have better battery life with no GPU. I prefer Asus as a brand.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
With no game playing there is almost no difference. Neither ram or gpu will matter much. You should go find them in a store and touch them -- feel means a lot in laptops. Trackpad quality is important too - particularly with Win 8.

Other thoughts: The acer may have better battery life with no GPU. I prefer Asus as a brand.

Solution
G

Thank you guys, I have chosen the Acer. Battery life made me decide, since the GPU is not needed and would only draw power for nothing.