Which laptop should I choose?

istoby

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016
I need a laptop with 15'' matte screen in price range 450-600 EUR, for everyday use, 80% for internet use and file storage, but would be great to use also sometimes for work with email, Citrix, SAP. I would like to choose from brands like HP, DELL, ASUS. RAM at least 4GB, HDD 500GB, CPU Intel Core. I am looking on these models:

Laptop 1
Laptop 2
Laptop 3
Laptop 4

I see that HP offers better components for lower price, but which one would be better choice? What models are better? Now I more keep my eyes on HP or DELL. I would like to buy a laptop that is a pretty new model.

Solution

Greetings, istoby:

Let's see:
1. HP 5th gen i5, 4GBs of RAM, Intel HD 5500 IGP, 369 euro. Decent, if slightly outdated, specs. Low on RAM.
2. HP 6th gen. i5, 8GBs of RAM, 2GB AMD GPU, 2K display, 539 euro. Looks like we have a winner!
3. Dell Vostro 6th gen i5, 4GBs of RAM, Intel HD 520 IGP, 480 euro. Not bad, but 4GBs is rather cheap.
4. Dell Notebook Intel Pentium, 16GBs of RAM, Intel HD IGP, 549 euro. VGA but no HDMI? Belongs in a museum.

And finally, here's a joker for your consideration:
https://www.amazon.de/Toshiba-Portege-Z30-B-11V-i7-5500U-512GB/dp/B00WGLIL3Y/ref=sr_1_189?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1479230509&sr=1-189
It is a 5th gen i7 with an Intel HD 5500 IGP and the screen is only 13.3", but it is 2K and comes with 16GBs of RAM and a 512GB SSD.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

istoby

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016
Thanks for answering! So you suggest to choose the Laptop Nr. 2. Can I get better laptop than Number 2 for this price? I see that in ebay there are pretty high prices for this, in some stores there are lower, but doesn't accept Paypal.

Hello, istoby:

With this Dell (3558) you get 16GBs of RAM and Windows 10, but the CPU is (very) old and the IGP is likely to be rather restricted, too. Laptop 3 in your list above (3559) comes with an i5 Skylake CPU and Intel HD 520, and Windows 7. The 3559 is clearly a bit newer, and you could consider adding extra RAM later on (it does support 16GBs).

But I still believe you get more PC for your money with the Laptop 2 HP, such as HDMI. Of course, you have to buy an OS for it, or get Linux for free. If you're looking for a PC model that is 'pretty new', going with a Pentium CPU and VGA port isn't the right direction. I'm mildly surprised you can get Skylake CPUs in this price range at all.

If you want a Dell, and sometimes you just do, the 3559 is 'pretty new' and the 3558 is pretty old.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Hello, istoby:

It rather looks like the Laptop 2 HP - with Windows 7, but still without HDMI and less GPU power. It doesn't even mention VGA, but I assume it has such a port. To be honest, I don't think it's an improvement over the Laptop 2 HP. But with Windows 7 preloaded, at least you can use it right away.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

I'm sorry but I got a bit lost among all the laptops - is this the HP with Win7 preloaded? If so, I stand corrected. Now you just have to consider if you can live with less GPU power compared to the Laptop 2 HP (which I still consider the one to get).

HDMI is a definite advantage and worth fighting for. In a few years, we'll look at HDMI as obsolete tech, like casette tapes from the 1980s - everything will be based on mDPs or enhanced wireless technology. VGA is rapidly becoming a hipster feature or collector's item.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

istoby

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016

I also consider picking the HP Number 2, slso the Number 2 has 8GB RAM instead of 4, and 1TB HDD. As models Notebook vs. Probook, which one would be newer/better or this doesn't matter at this point?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean; Notebook is a generic term for standard productivity laptops used by many manufacturers, e.g. Dell and HP, usually to distinguish between consumer and business devices. ProBook is HP's proprietary name for a specific product line.

If you're talking about the 4 laptops in your list, I'd say that the Dells generally look nicer and a bit more professional. Maybe it's the full-black colour scheme, but the silver/black - very often all-silver - scheme used with most laptops these days has never been my cup of tea. I like my machines all black.

Dells are generally priced higher than comparable HPs, so if you find a Dell and an HP with identical specs, the Dell is likely to be notably more expensive - just look at your list. In short, you can either get a good-looking Dell with lower specs, or a decent-specced HP that looks a bit gimmicky (in my opinion!)

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution