Which laptop should I pick?

Dragondash

Estimable
Jun 27, 2014
I'm planning on buying a laptop soon and I've narrowed it down to two.

The main confusion I have is whether to opt for a stronger CPU or a better GPU. Here are the specs for the laptops:

Laptop 1:
4th gen i5 4200U, 6gb ram, 500gb HDD, Nvidia GT 750m GPU

Laptop 2:
3rd gen i5 3230m, 4gb ram, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia GT 630m GPU

I understand that laptop 1 has a much better GPU and ram while laptop 2's processor is much faster than the haswell one. I'll mostly be using the laptop for coding in C/C++/Java/Android development/3D rendering with blender, 3DS max, Maya etc as well as Photoshop, Illustrator etc.

I also want to run Virtual machines on the computer with Virtual box.

So which Laptop would be better suited for my needs?

Laptop 1's CPU is a newer architecture, but it's a low voltage CPU. Due to that, it's not exactly better.

@OP: What make and model are these systems? I can say that, based off of those specs, either will work for you, but then you might want to consider other factors, such as build quality and cooling ability, any known defects, etc.

Laptop 1 might treat you ever so slightly better in rendering, but each system will excel over the other in different tasks.

Dragondash

Estimable
Jun 27, 2014

I'm looking at Dell laptops. The two models are the inspiron 7000 and the Dell Vostro 5560 respectively. I've been hearing some problems with Dell though. So should I switch to another brand?