Solved! Which laptop to buy for dual monitor support?

ankyuk

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
Hello everyone,

As I work on quite a few Excel sheets with quite fine-scale data, I am planning to buy a bigger monitor to connect to my laptop (through an HDMI cable). However, I am not sure if I should be using my existing laptop for it, as it was quite a basic laptop and I don't know if it'd be a good idea to let it also do this extra hard work.
Just for info, these are some the specs of my current laptop:

Lenovo G50-70 model
Windows 7 OS
Intel® HD Graphics 4400
Intel® Core™ i3-4010U Processor
3M Cache, 1.70 GHz
2 GB RAM

I would like to buy another laptop (either coming with pre-loaded Windows or not, both ok) which may be more suitable for a dual monitor support (that is, laptop's own monitor plus an external monitor). Since I have been using Lenovo for many years now (including my earlier computer), I trust Lenovo, so if you could suggest a Lenovo product, that'd be good. I am looking at something mid-range, not very expensive. Other brands are also welcome, if you think they are also good.

Also, do you think I could use my existing laptop itself instead, and there's no need to splurge the money? I use my laptop for working on those Excel sheets plus for listening to music and watching films plus YouTube, etc. I don't play games.

Thanks in advance! Please let me know if you require more information.

Solution
Your current laptop should be fine.

If you work with very large spreadsheets that does a lot of calculations and it takes quite a bit of time to recalculate results, then at that point buy a new laptop with a more powerful CPU. Preferably laptop with a quad core Intel CPU if it takes a really long time to recalculate.

Your current laptop should be fine.

If you work with very large spreadsheets that does a lot of calculations and it takes quite a bit of time to recalculate results, then at that point buy a new laptop with a more powerful CPU. Preferably laptop with a quad core Intel CPU if it takes a really long time to recalculate.

Solution

ankyuk

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

Thanks! No, I don't work with too large spreadsheets involving a lot of calculations. In fact, nothing very much processing intensive: I was just wondering if the graphics card in my existing laptop can handle comfortably an extra monitor. So in that case, I guess, I don't need another laptop? That would be a relief financially!