Solved! Which order to install 32 bit and 64 bit Java?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobe_banoobe

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Hello,

I have a quick question about the order of installing both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Java. I think I need/want both as I play Minecraft and heard that the 64 bit is better for running the game. I am also running 64 bit windows 7 which tells me I need the 64 bit version. On the other hand though, I use firefox which is a 32 bit browser and may need to use Java for online applications such as one I can think of off the top of my head for school.

Is there any specific order for installing the two versions?

Is it necessary to install both versions?

Will 64 bit Java work for 32 bit applications or for firefox?

Thanks for the help!

Kensida

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
if you're using a 64bit OS, it's best to install 64bit version of Java, as your java based application can then fully utilize the cpu execution instruction sets and registers - in order words, your apps will run fasters.

by default, one version of Java can be active. So, one copy of the installation is sufficient.

Firefox and Java are basically two different identity of applications. They usually do not conflict with each other, so they should work together fine. When an online app requires java, firefox will then hand it to java to process it. Firefox will not interfere with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.