Which Skylake model to choose?

sata67

Estimable
Oct 26, 2015
Skylake laptops are already available here for purchase, and I need a new laptop.

I wonder what CPU model do I need to look for.

I will be looking for one with an i5 or i7, not sure you.

But, should I go for example with the 15W TDP 6600U, or the 45W TDP 6700HQ?

And if I choose an i5 the question will be regarding the 6300U and 6300HQ.

The laptop will Not be used for gaming at all, but for buisness purposes. I Do want it to be fast though, and handle many open tabs and some multitasking.

What should I go for ? U or HQ?

jaguarskx

Champion
For most people a dual core Intel CPU is fine for handling daily tasks and "U" model CPUs consumes less power which allows for longer battery life if that is a concern. Intel's Skylake generation CPUs marks the first time they released a mobile quad core i5 CPU with no hyper threading. It will definitely provide better performance compared to the i5-6300u in CPU intensive tasks, but it does not seem like you are doing anything that is CPU intensive.

The best way to make a laptop feel more responsive is to buy one with a solid state drive (SSD) rather than a hard drive (HDD). SSDs have much higher read / write speeds compared to HDD so the laptop will start up and shut down faster. Programs will launch and close faster as well. If you do a lot of multitasking then you should have at least 8GB of RAM installed. Windows does a lot of data caching when there is not enough RAM for all the programs running. That means it reads / writes data from RAM to your storage drive. If you have a SSD this happens much faster so that it would not feel like your laptop is lagging from time to time.

jaguarskx

Champion
For most people a dual core Intel CPU is fine for handling daily tasks and "U" model CPUs consumes less power which allows for longer battery life if that is a concern. Intel's Skylake generation CPUs marks the first time they released a mobile quad core i5 CPU with no hyper threading. It will definitely provide better performance compared to the i5-6300u in CPU intensive tasks, but it does not seem like you are doing anything that is CPU intensive.

The best way to make a laptop feel more responsive is to buy one with a solid state drive (SSD) rather than a hard drive (HDD). SSDs have much higher read / write speeds compared to HDD so the laptop will start up and shut down faster. Programs will launch and close faster as well. If you do a lot of multitasking then you should have at least 8GB of RAM installed. Windows does a lot of data caching when there is not enough RAM for all the programs running. That means it reads / writes data from RAM to your storage drive. If you have a SSD this happens much faster so that it would not feel like your laptop is lagging from time to time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Joe39 Laptop General Discussion 1
Chaingunchris Laptop General Discussion 7
G Laptop General Discussion 4
FarNerdy Laptop General Discussion 4
B Laptop General Discussion 8
J Laptop General Discussion 5
TechyInAZ Laptop General Discussion 5
F Laptop General Discussion 2
A Laptop General Discussion 2
harsh_hk Laptop General Discussion 2
ZeroInfinity Laptop General Discussion 5