Which Skylake model to choose?

sata67

Estimable
Oct 26, 2015
Skylake laptops are already available here for purchase, and I need a new laptop.

I wonder what CPU model do I need to look for.

I will be looking for one with an i5 or i7, not sure you.

But, should I go for example with the 15W TDP 6600U, or the 45W TDP 6700HQ?

And if I choose an i5 the question will be regarding the 6300U and 6300HQ.

The laptop will Not be used for gaming at all, but for buisness purposes. I Do want it to be fast though, and handle many open tabs and some multitasking.

What should I go for ? U or HQ?

Solution
For most people a dual core Intel CPU is fine for handling daily tasks and "U" model CPUs consumes less power which allows for longer battery life if that is a concern. Intel's Skylake generation CPUs marks the first time they released a mobile quad core i5 CPU with no hyper threading. It will definitely provide better performance compared to the i5-6300u in CPU intensive tasks, but it does not seem like you are doing anything that is CPU intensive.

The best way to make a laptop feel more responsive is to buy one with a solid state drive (SSD) rather than a hard drive (HDD). SSDs have much higher read / write speeds compared to HDD so the laptop will start up and shut down faster. Programs will launch and close faster as well. If you...
For most people a dual core Intel CPU is fine for handling daily tasks and "U" model CPUs consumes less power which allows for longer battery life if that is a concern. Intel's Skylake generation CPUs marks the first time they released a mobile quad core i5 CPU with no hyper threading. It will definitely provide better performance compared to the i5-6300u in CPU intensive tasks, but it does not seem like you are doing anything that is CPU intensive.

The best way to make a laptop feel more responsive is to buy one with a solid state drive (SSD) rather than a hard drive (HDD). SSDs have much higher read / write speeds compared to HDD so the laptop will start up and shut down faster. Programs will launch and close faster as well. If you do a lot of multitasking then you should have at least 8GB of RAM installed. Windows does a lot of data caching when there is not enough RAM for all the programs running. That means it reads / writes data from RAM to your storage drive. If you have a SSD this happens much faster so that it would not feel like your laptop is lagging from time to time.

Solution