Which smartphone has the best call quality?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Hi

I'm looking to purchase a new phone, but I've found that most reviews center on the processor or gaming with a very limited amount focusing on the call quality. I typically use my phone for Google Maps, email, and calls.

For those that have experience, which Android or Windows phone has the best call quality? Is Google Maps better or worse on either platform?

HTCfreak

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014
As this thread is mainly about call quality i would like to comment about my experience. I have iphone 4 and i hate it because of calls being dropped. My wife has the S4 on the same network (StraitTalk) and even though it only has 1 bar it walk not loose signal and drop a call. This is in same room in the same house.
I want an HTC One but i'm afraid it may not have the same call ability as the S4.

patihk19

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I have had Nexus 5 , Nexus 4 , Lumia 520 and Galaxy S2. They all have issues with call quality in that they are all low.

All my other phones that are not smart phones are all louder. It would appear that majority smart phones have this issue.

Even though the HTC one has stereo sound the phone call quality was not good , although the sound playback - music was quite good.

Wish a smart phone came out with great call quality.

chaan126

Estimable
Jul 7, 2014

I have had every iPhone, most Blackberry's and a number of Android devices and in my opinion call quality on iPhones is in the "super mega simply sucks class". An iPhone raw and on its own without a case is not great with call quality, but reasonable, put any case on it and it becomes less than useless. Run an iPhone without a case and soon you are a sad soul with a cracked screen. Quite the dilemma.

I am not waiting for the new iPhone 6, the 5 was enough of a slap me in the face experience from a call quality point of view and after a lengthy 3 month review of Lumina, HTC and Samsung I decided the HTC One:M8 cannot be beat for the call and sound experience, though I must confess the call quality on the Lumina was better. That HTC sound system for when you are at home on speakerphone though is pretty amazing so overall the HTC got the pragmatists nod.

I use my smartphone as a business tool and as I am a serious road warrior, call quality is the most important facet I require. The camera is useless from a business point of view and just a nice to have so the fact the camera is not the best one available (Lumina wins that evaluation point hands down) was not high on my evaluation criteria, call quality and a nice screen for WAZE was. (I spend my time surfing car pool lanes and avoiding CHP officers which requires a nice big screen and sharp sound capability).

If the Lumina did not have that silly Windows 8 Tile GUI I would have bought it, Windows 8 tiles fill me with the urge to defecate, not good when u are stuck on the 880 in rush hour traffic.......Yuck!

The HTC's only fault is the camera but its still better than the iPhone 5 camera. The 5S is a better device but the screen size and call quality are still sub standard IMHO.

DreadPirateBooboo

Estimable
Jul 7, 2014

It's more to do with the radio, but if both callers have HD Voice capable handsets on an HD Voice carrier, that will be the best.

chaan126

Estimable
Jul 7, 2014
The lack of call quality focus on smartphone reviews and tests is a very disturbing issue.

I have had every iPhone, most Blackberry's and a number of Android devices and in my opinion call quality on iPhones is in the "super mega simply sucks class". An iPhone raw and on its own without a case is not great with call quality, but reasonable, put any case on it and it becomes less than useless. Run an iPhone without a case and soon you are a sad soul with a cracked screen. Quite the dilemma.

I am not waiting for the new iPhone 6, the 5 was enough of a slap me in the face experience from a call quality point of view and after a lengthy 3 month review of Lumina, HTC and Samsung I decided the HTC One:M8 cannot be beat for the call and sound experience, though I must confess the call quality on the Lumina was better. That HTC sound system for when you are at home on speakerphone though is pretty amazing so overall the HTC got the pragmatists nod.

I use my smartphone as a business tool and as I am a serious road warrior, call quality is the most important facet I require. The camera is useless from a business point of view and just a nice to have so the fact the camera in the HTC one M8: is not the best one available (Lumina wins that evaluation point hands down) was not high on my PERSONAL evaluation criteria, call quality and a nice screen for WAZE operations was. (I spend my time surfing car pool lanes and avoiding CHP officers which requires a nice big screen and sharp sound capability).

If the Lumina did not have that silly Windows 8 Tile GUI I would have bought it, Windows 8 tiles fill me with the urge to defecate, not good when u are stuck on the 880 in rush hour traffic.......Yuck!

The HTC's only fault is the camera but its still better than the iPhone 5 camera. The 5S is a better device than the 5 but the screen size and call quality are still sub standard IMHO.

It would be nice to see some Smartphone reviews from a road warrior pragmatist point of view where operating phones in cars, trucks, planes and on windy golf courses as well as noisy airports is taken into account. Too many reviews are focused on apps and games and are not real world business focused, rather, focusing on the spoiled toy syndrome aspects of a smartphone.

This is not useful to us road warrior types who care figs for angry birds type gaming opinions on the various smartphone products. It would also be nice to see some more Huawei smartphone reviews as well, I was shocked to discover how reasonable these devices are when traveling in South East Asia recently.

I also note that many people believe that the call quality is totally dependent on the carrier, Hah!! That is simple fallacy!! Noise cancelling placement, component quality and design are a huge factor in call quality on a mobile phone. I think a lot of education needs to take place re call quality on the various devices out there, with some of them it sounds like you are conducting your call from an underground tunnel on the moon.

I recently bought over $2500 worth of bluetooth devices to overcome the effect that various phone cases killing the noise cancelling capabilities of various smartphones have and was shocked to find that the only phone devices that worked great with sound quality from an add on bluetooth device perspective were good old ancient Blackberry devices!! How can this be? Scant reviews I have read even make trivial mention of this irksome but must know about reality??

I get the idea most smartphone reviewers are caught up in the features and uses of applications and have somehow forgotten the bloody things are primarily Telephones!! Maybe someone should employ me to do these reviews right from a road warrior perspective....

Skipper_390

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014

Skipper_390

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014
I finally moved from a Motorola 550 flip phone to a LG G3.. The LG phone call quality sucks. I have heard that the flip phones were for voice and the Smart phones are for data so the voice suffers on all Smart phones . Try a flip phone vs a smart phone and see. July 26 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.