which TV should I use?

jdaniel 125

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
hello

so, my family is moving to a new house soon, and our grandparents gave us their old TV that has a bad PSU, but we ordered a new PSU

my dad said I could use it in my room with my pioneer surround system, but I already have a 32 inch proscan tv that is 1080p, the only thing I hate about it is that it makes my room very hot and only has 3 HDMI hookups and one component hookup

the TV my grandparents gave me is a 50 inch vizio TV. it has 2 component hookups, 2 HDMI, and 1 composite hookup for my consoles and it's really nice. I can finally plug lots of things into it without using an extra bulky CRT for my consoles. only problem is, it outputs at 1080i or 720p...

im really confused on which TV I should use.

the small, 32 inch, but 1080p capable proscan.

or the big, 1080i capable vizio?

Solution
Bigger is better! :)

You haven't told us what the model # is. If you're happy with the picture you're getting, then why are you so worried?

720p isn't that bad. 1080i is actually worse than 720p, even worse than 480p for that matter, because interlaced during motion can be annoying to look at, you definitely want progressive.
Bigger is better! :)

You haven't told us what the model # is. If you're happy with the picture you're getting, then why are you so worried?

720p isn't that bad. 1080i is actually worse than 720p, even worse than 480p for that matter, because interlaced during motion can be annoying to look at, you definitely want progressive.

Solution

jdaniel 125

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015

the TV's have obnoxiously long model names so i have to write them down.

but the proscan barely looks like 1080p actually, whenever I watch a movie using my PS3 over an HDMI connection, it looks like crap. same thing on Netflix and my games, it looks all fuzzy. one thing I know about the Vizio is that it's a plasma and the proscan is an LCD. so i guess I'll go with the vizio

and im also kind of worried since the Vizio is from 2008 and the proscan is from 2013, i just want the best picture quality without being downgraded

EDIT: nevermind! i just read an article, apparently, even 720p plasma TV's get VERY clear picture quality with no motion blur, unlike LCD/LED TV's.

Yep, that's correct. Plasma beats LCD's. Resolution is not what determines how sharp a display is, that's contrast. This is why a 1080 OLED beats a 4k LCD in picture quality.

Explain, what do you mean by fuzzy?

Make sure all dynamic settings are off, contrast, brightness, etc. Make sure PC mode is OFF. Make sure Sharpness is set to 0, use Sharpness 1 if you see a tint of color, don't go higher than that though. Use 720p, always progressive, NEVER interlaced.

Is that it? http://www.amazon.com/Vizio-Plasma-720p-HDTV-VP50HDTV10A/dp/B000WEO5IM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Manual: http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/VP50HDTV_10A/195Manual.pdf

Is your problem resolved? Do you want me to remove your selection for "best answer"?

Edit: I'm referring to your Vizio above, I suspect that you're talking about your LCD? My mistake.