which Workstation laptop should i buy ?

faramarz123

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
hey guys.
i'm trying to buy a new workstation laptop since my old one does not want to co operate anymore.
the programs i use are : Autocad , photoshop , 3d max.
i use autocad and photoshop the most but i also need some rendering since i need 3d modeling too which makes picking a new laptop more difficult.
i dont care about resolution since i use another display, i dont care about battery life.
my budget is about 1000-1200 $
i've already looked into some laptops manufactured by MSI , Lenovo , hp and Dell ( like precision m3800 or hp omen pro , lenovo w550s , etc...) but the thing is they are kind of an overkill for my kind of work and they are too pricey , and i had no luck in finding a cheaper laptop. can you guys help me a bit or introduce a more suitable laptop to me ? thanks .

Solution
Get a 2 yr old Lenovo W model, will last longer than just about any new system. If you do professional work on the thing with CAD, you may end up in a job where you need to have a certified system to generate the product. A gaming laptop would almost certainly not be certified.

faramarz123

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

well this is an awesome laptop but its been made for gaming purposes. would it be still good enough to handle my rendering work? i was going for NVIDIA quadroPNY graphics which is actually a workstation card. can a GTX card handle rendering as good as quadro cards ?

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015

I do a bit of the same work with a [desktop] GTX 970 and it runs everything great. They're not AS well-suited to it, but most of the mobile Quadro cards in a "mobile workstation" with an i7 are probably going to run in the mid-high $1000's, at least from what I've seen from Dell and HP.

Get a 2 yr old Lenovo W model, will last longer than just about any new system. If you do professional work on the thing with CAD, you may end up in a job where you need to have a certified system to generate the product. A gaming laptop would almost certainly not be certified.

Solution